+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I need a return flight ticket to enter Canada

harry30

Jul 8, 2016
Hi, I am a citizen of India currently residing in USA on a work visa. I have a multiple entry Canada Visitor Visa valid up to 9 years from now. I am flying to Ottawa next week and I did not book my return flight back to USA as I am not sure about the return date. I have heard that one may require to show their return ticket to enter Canada. Is this true ? Can someone please help ?

Thanks!

alok4best

Dec 19, 2014
Frankfurt
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
8-Dec-2014
Nomination.....
24-Feb-2015
AOR Received.
7-Apr-2015
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
File Transfer...
7-Apr-2015
Med's Request
17-Jun-2015
Med's Done....
23-Jun-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-Jul-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-Aug-2015
LANDED..........
27-Nov-2015
harry30 said:
Hi, I am a citizen of India currently residing in USA on a work visa. I have a multiple entry Canada Visitor Visa valid up to 9 years from now. I am flying to Ottawa next week and I did not book my return flight back to USA as I am not sure about the return date. I have heard that one may require to show their return ticket to enter Canada. Is this true ? Can someone please help ?

Thanks!
A lot depends on the airline staff as well as the immigration officer at point of entry.
You could be okay with just one way ticket, but having a return ticket is safer and can save you from unwanted surprises.

jairichi

Champion Member
Jan 21, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
harry30 said:
Thank you! I will check with airline
Do not worry about airline. They have no right to deny you boarding if you do not have a return ticket. But, a return ticket is a document expected by immigration officials when you enter a country on a visitor visa.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
jairichi said:
Do not worry about airline. They have no right to deny you boarding if you do not have a return ticket. But, a return ticket is a document expected by immigration officials when you enter a country on a visitor visa.
I disagree airlines have every right to deny boarding for any number of reasons and they do. Remember it is the airline that gets hit with a fine if any immigration issues should arise should an airline not follow procedure. In this case with a multi entry visa probably not an issue but never say never and usually a return is expected when you land but if you are convincing about leaving then should not have an issue, after all you could you drive to the land border and leave. If you were on a one way from India to Canada even with a multi entry tourist visa then would expect the airline to have an issue with that but from the US probably not an issue

jairichi

Champion Member
Jan 21, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Bs65 said:
I disagree airlines have every right to deny boarding for any number of reasons and they do. Remember it is the airline that gets hit with a fine if any immigration issues should arise should an airline not follow procedure. In this case with a multi entry visa probably not an issue but never say never and usually a return is expected when you land but if you are convincing about leaving then should not have an issue, after all you could you drive to the land border and leave. If you were on a one way from India to Canada even with a multi entry tourist visa then would expect the airline to have an issue with that but from the US probably not an issue
I had spoken about this specifically with two immigration officials during my multiple travel abroad. They confirmed that an airline has the authority to check your passport details, validity of visa and provide boarding pass. They have absolutely no right to demand for a return air ticket or deny boarding if a passenger does not have one. That authority rests with immigration officials at POE. If an issue of this sort arises the passenger has absolute rights to contact higher officials of that airline or airport manager.

And, airlines normally recover the return fare from a passenger if that passenger is returned back immediately to home country due to inadmissibility. They have a recovery team to do so. Nothing is free.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
jairichi said:
I had spoken about this specifically with two immigration officials during my multiple travel abroad. They confirmed that an airline has the authority to check your passport details, validity of visa and provide boarding pass. They have absolutely no right to demand for a return air ticket or deny boarding if a passenger does not have one. That authority rests with immigration officials at POE. If an issue of this sort arises the passenger has absolute rights to contact higher officials of that airline or airport manager.
The fact is we've seen many cases here were boarding has in fact been denied for not having a return flight or a valid visa and contacting a higher authority has resulted in the same outcome. This has nothing to do with immigration policy (which is what the immigration officers were talking about) and everything to do with the airline's policy. The airline can set whatever policies they wish and if you check their websites, you'll find these policies are quite liberal in what they allow the airline to do.

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This has nothing to do with immigration policy (which is what the immigration officers were talking about)
You are incorrect. It does a lot with immigration (visit purposes). If a foreign national come to Canada without return tickets it raises a red flag about the reason for his/her visit to Canada.
Of course, if you come on SP for 2 years or on WP you do not need to have your return ticket but other that, for tourist/visitor purposes, you could be asked by passport control to show your return ticket .

And no, flight companies do not ask you about return tickets. They ask for visas only.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Regina said:
And no, flight companies do not ask you about return tickets. They ask for visas only.
Incorrect. Some flights DO check return or onward tickets from Canada, and will cause problems or in some cases deny boarding if you don't have any onward from Canada. There are first hand reports of this happening, one such example here: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/inland-vs-outland-application-t434738.15.html

This policy really varies by airline and airport you happen to be flying out of.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Rob_TO said:
Incorrect. Some flights DO check return or onward tickets from Canada, and will cause problems or in some cases deny boarding if you don't have any onward from Canada. There are first hand reports of this happening, one such example here: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/inland-vs-outland-application-t434738.15.html

This policy really varies by airline and airport you happen to be flying out of.
This has gone off topic slightly but agree that ultimately an airline has the final say on checkin/boarding subject to their T&Cs which may in some cases include validating intentions of a one way ticket holder if the documentation presented does not back it up to support the destination country requirements for onward travel.

As with all these scenarios airlines can be notoriously inconsistent hence people say 'no way' do they do it until the day comes when they experience it and it does happen especially where the destination country is hot on onward or return travel for non residents such as US,Canada,Australia/NZ to name a few. Try boarding a plane in London for Australia with a one way ticket, no onward or return travel and a visitor visa and you could see.

Anyway completely off topic and the reply #1 is best advice for an Indian Passport holder temp resident in the US, probably no issue with boarding in the US but who knows when faced with CBSA who might need convincing with appropriate documentation.

Becikl007

Star Member
Jul 18, 2016
I am travelling to Canada next year to activate my IEC Work permit. I plan on doing 2 weeks of traveling through USA before taking a train into Canada. I booked a one way ticket to New York City where i will start my trip. I contacted my airline which assured my that they will let me board the plane in Europe with a one way ticket to the US. Is my ticket departing USA to Canada enough for immigration when i land in New York? I know it's against ESTA rules which state I need to leave the North Continent within 90 days, which I won't be doing since i am activating a 1 yeark work permit in Canada. Any thoughts? I contacted my embassy, the couldn't give my a straight answer, the suggested a B1/B2 travel visa, but then again that costs extra money as does the return ticket which i will never use.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Becikl007 said:
I am travelling to Canada next year to activate my IEC Work permit. I plan on doing 2 weeks of traveling through USA before taking a train into Canada. I booked a one way ticket to New York City where i will start my trip. I contacted my airline which assured my that they will let me board the plane in Europe with a one way ticket to the US. Is my ticket departing USA to Canada enough for immigration when i land in New York? I know it's against ESTA rules which state I need to leave the North Continent within 90 days, which I won't be doing since i am activating a 1 yeark work permit in Canada. Any thoughts? I contacted my embassy, the couldn't give my a straight answer, the suggested a B1/B2 travel visa, but then again that costs extra money as does the return ticket which i will never use.

Thanks for your suggestions.
As you have I assume applied for an ESTA so you are a visa exempt passport holder so travelling under visa waiver program which supports visits to the US no longer than 90 days. Not sure where you read this North Continent statement as the US has no influence over entry to Canada much as sometimes they like to think so and visitors to Canada can in fact get a stay upto 6 months so the North Continent or North America statement is a nonsense , only applying to the US.

Just ensure you have an itinerary to show the US Immigration officer if asked to show you are transiting through the US spending a couple of weeks to get from NY to the Canadian border. If you have a train booked in advance all the better but otherwise just an itinerary and maybe your POE letter as backup. Ultimately you may not even be asked if you have a return or to show a return as usual question would be how long you staying with no need to show anything.

As with any immigration officers do not volunteer information just answer questions asked and you will be fine, volunteering info just opens up more unecessary questions as thats their job. Despite many peoples views immigration officers are human as well, they have a job to do so just imagine yourself sitting there all shift saying next and listening to the next person in line !

Becikl007

Star Member
Jul 18, 2016
Thank you for your answer.

As far as I know travel to Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean is not enough. A traveler needs to have a ticket departing US or the mentioned countries within a 90 day period.
I have a screenshot from my airline but can't link it, cause it's not allowed. Basically it's not enough for the US if you leave for one of the mentioned countries.

This is what is says on my airline site: Passengers traveling to the US under the VWP must have a valid ticket for a confirmed and valid flight from the US within the 90 days of the arrival to the US, prior to entering US. An onward flight to Canada, Mexico, Bermuda or/and the Caribbean is insuficient to satisfy this requirement, unless the passenger is a lawful resident of those countries.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Becikl007 said:
Thank you for your answer.

As far as I know travel to Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean is not enough. A traveler needs to have a ticket departing US or the mentioned countries within a 90 day period.
I have a screenshot from my airline but can't link it, cause it's not allowed. Basically it's not enough for the US if you leave for one of the mentioned countries.

This is what is says on my airline site: Passengers traveling to the US under the VWP must have a valid ticket for a confirmed and valid flight from the US within the 90 days of the arrival to the US, prior to entering US. An onward flight to Canada, Mexico, Bermuda or/and the Caribbean is insuficient to satisfy this requirement, unless the passenger is a lawful resident of those countries.
go with whatever you are comfortable with as the airlines are just covering themselves they are not US immigration and their only real obligation to to ensure a valid passport and visa. After all whats to stop someone having a return and cancelling it or no show so a return is just an intent not a guarantee.

Out of interest which airline given the onward flight statement is a nonsense what happens to those doing a stopover or transiting US they do not have to be residents of Canada but are just purchasing a ticket sold by the airline that includes a plane change for example if not a full blown stopover.

If you have an IEC POE you will become a lawful resident of Canada when you land anyway but do not see the point wasting money on a return although having said that assume you have noticed that often returns are cheaper than one way anyway.

Its a shame nobody else has commented yet as people do this one way all the time fly to US and then via us/canada land border. Its even more common if you think about it crossing from Canada into US by land border as you have no return committment at all other than saying you will exit US.

Becikl007

Star Member
Jul 18, 2016
Thanks for your help. Yeah I know it's kinda stupid to have a rule like that, i've read it's a way US "insure" themselves so people don't hop the border all the time to work illegally. I've even read a repply of a guy who came tu the US but wasn't let through immigration cause he didn't have a return ticket back home. He bought one on the spot and was let through and even the officer said he knows he is not gonna use it (because of his work permit for Canada) and it's a formality. Also I've read that the IEC POE letter is not a guarantee that you will be let into Canada/recieve your work permit, you can still be denied at the border, and it's a way to protect themselves...Also read a post from a girl that was prevented from boarding a flight in europe because she didn't have a return, but don't know if it was IEC related.

Basically it's just so much contradicting information out there, that it's really confusing what you can or cannot do. Such a grey area.

Thanks for your replies! you've been very helpful.