+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I need a lawyer ???

zylootino

Mar 18, 2008
Hello,

I am willing to apply under the Skilled Worker category, I fulfill the requirements in terms of points, languages, work experience, studies, and I wonder if I need a lawyer.

The CIC website and some of this forum's members say it is not necessary and it will not expedite anything unless you have a complicated case. So, what is as complicated case?

Lawyers say they actually can expedite the process, mainly because they increase the probability of interview waivers. It sounds logical since they work everyday on these applications and know all the tricks , anticipating required documents and avoiding discrepancies in applications.

What if I move dureing the process? Is a lawyer a good way to avoid mail losses and delays due to movings?

What about your experience with lawyers? Based on your experience, do they really give more chance to your applications?

Thanks,

Eduardo Picazo

Feb 19, 2005
Reynosa, Mexico
Hi zylootino

Having a lawyer will not speed you process, but it certainly prevents unnecesary delays due to common errors in the documents you send and other bunch of legal immigration stuff that for us as no lawyers, it is a field definitely unknown.

So if you are able to have an immigration lawyer go ahead, so no matter where you move as long as you are always in touch with the lawyer, he\she will do everything on your behalf

I used one, I had no issues, my interview was waived and I am here at Canada already.

Just be careful on your search, not all the lawyers are OK.

I used David Cohen's firm at www.canadavisa.com

Regards
Eduardo

M S Chaudhry

Star Member
Jun 6, 2006
There is no need to have a lawyer. You should apply by yopurself. It will help you to learn a lot while preparing your application. GOOD LUCK

Mar 15, 2008
I recommend using a lawyer, especially if you live in Europe or North America or any other rich country. Why gamble with something so important. Perhaps its totally not needed; perhaps it will prevent you from making a silly mistake/wrong step and save you months or years. As we all know, rules may change over time and you would not want to be caught in a situation where your application is evaluated under unfavorable laws. "Learning during the process" is a bitter memory when your application is delayed or rejected.

If you are coming from a poor country or are poor, do it yourself; the logic is 1) You cannot afford it 2) It is just one more burden added to all the burdens you already carry as a result of being poor; you would not notice the difference!

zylootino

Mar 18, 2008
Thank you so much for your answers. I will follow your recommandations and use one.
Eduardo, may I ask: where are you from, and how long did it take for you?

Thanks,

Nathan

Going canada

Mar 20, 2008
Go around and check the fees charged by different lawyers, do a research about their reabliablity and so on.....
Also consider your own budget.......