+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I need a degree to work with an Open Work Permit?

galaxys0

Aug 15, 2018
Hello everyone. I have an Open Work Permit thanks to the International Experience Canada.

If I wanted to work as a web developer, which is NOC A 2175 (http://noc.esdc.gc.ca/English/noc/Profile.aspx?val=2&val1=2175&ver=16), can I work without needing a college degree or experience?

I have a good portfolio, but I'm not sure if it's actually possible to start work without a degree or experience because it says in the NOC page that:

Employment requirements
  • A bachelor's degree, usually in computer science, communications or business or Completion of a college program in computer science, graphic arts, Web design or business is required.
  • Experience as a computer programmer or graphic designer is usually required.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You don't need a degree.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Thanks scylla.

Do you know why it says so in the NOC page then?
The NOC database is there to provide applicants for permanent residence with job classifications and duties that aim to map to their current roles so they can apply through an immigration program.

The education requirements at least in my view are guidance for applicants to indicate what education level might be expected by employers for a role in Canada and also the higher education level someone has the more points they can claim for an immigration application.

You are on an open work permit so NOC classifications are not really relevant unless aiming for PR later as you can work in any job you want from bar tender to CEO, stretching a point but you get my drift.

If your plan is to eventually apply for PR then Canadian work experience , minimum one year , in a job NOC classified as 0,A or B is the important thing

Last edited:
Reactions: canuck_in_uk

galaxys0

Aug 15, 2018
The NOC database is there to provide applicants for permanent residence with job classifications and duties that aim to map to their current roles so they can apply through an immigration program.

The education requirements at least in my view are guidance for applicants to indicate what education level might be expected by employers for a role in Canada and also the higher education level someone has the more points they can claim for an immigration application.

You are on an open work permit so NOC classifications are not really relevant unless aiming for PR later as you can work in any job you want from bar tender to CEO, stretching a point but you get my drift.

If your plan is to eventually apply for PR then Canadian work experience , minimum one year , in a job NOC classified as 0,A or B is the important thing
Thanks.

So when I eventually apply for Express Entry, I still don't need a degree if my employer has to request an LMIA, right? Other than needing it to get additional points under Express Entry CEC.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks.

So when I eventually apply for Express Entry, I still don't need a degree if my employer has to request an LMIA, right? Other than needing it to get additional points under Express Entry CEC.
Correct. Express Entry is a points-based system. Right now you need to have 440+ points to be selected under EE. So technically you don't need a degree, but your points won't be as high without one.