+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I have to notify the U.S. government that I am leaving?

MBUSACAN

Jul 2, 2022
I am leaving the US to be a permanent resident in Canada soon. I do not own any property nor have anything else tying me to the US besides my bank account. Is there anything I need to let the government know before I leave?

Thanks in advance.

poporopos

Sep 22, 2021
Lol. No. I'm American and I didn't. US Government doesn't care about citizens leaving unless you are a wanted person and they are trying to hold your passport. They only care about people coming in.

hawk39

Mar 26, 2017
You don't have to tell the US government that you're leaving, but I think you will still need to file an annual US tax return because of your bank account. Check with your CPA.

frange

May 25, 2018
You don't have to tell the US government that you're leaving, but I think you will still need to file an annual US tax return because of your bank account. Check with your CPA.
Not because of his bank account. Just because of laws.

If he is a LPR (green card holder) OR US citizen, legally it is required to file tax every year even he becomes a non US resident for tax purposes.
US has tax agreements with Canada, you won't be double taxed.

Reactions: MBUSACAN and YVR123

MBUSACAN

Jul 2, 2022
Not because of his bank account. Just because of laws.

If he is a LPR (green card holder) OR US citizen, legally it is required to file tax every year even he becomes a non US resident for tax purposes.
US has tax agreements with Canada, you won't be double taxed.
Thank you both. Yeah I’m aware of having to file taxes for both countries so I wasn’t too worried about that. I think the main thing that came to mind is if it was still possible for me to get summoned for jury duty while I’m living in Canada lol.

MJSPARV

Sep 17, 2020
Thank you both. Yeah I’m aware of having to file taxes for both countries so I wasn’t too worried about that. I think the main thing that came to mind is if it was still possible for me to get summoned for jury duty while I’m living in Canada lol.
If you don't have an address I don't think they can call you up for jury duty. If they somehow do, you can reply like my sister did when a student in Europe and she was summoned (she still had a US address) that you're living outside the US but if they want to pay you 53 cents* per mile to come...

*or whatever the official reimbursement rate is these days...