+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I have the option of not using the SIN Number

Nov 4, 2017
Just for curiosity:

Do I have the option to be paid by cash (or deposit, or nominal cheque) and not to use my SIN Number ? I can work 20h/week. People told me that this is not wrong but the problem is that people don`t declare what they earn... if I declare it is legal ?

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
Just for curiosity:

Do I have the option to be paid by cash (or deposit, or nominal cheque) and not to use my SIN Number ? I can work 20h/week. People told me that this is not wrong but the problem is that people don`t declare what they earn... if I declare it is legal ?

Yes you have to declare all earnings paid by cash in your income tax for next year. Just letting you know that the employer paying cash to you means that they are not deducting any taxes from you so you will have to pay the taxes yourself when you file next year.

Reactions: MapleLeafsRaptors
Nov 4, 2017
Yes you have to declare all earnings paid by cash in your income tax for next year. Just letting you know that the employer paying cash to you means that they are not deducting any taxes from you so you will have to pay the taxes yourself when you file next year.
Thank you for your answer.

Do you know how many % of it ? It`s not a big amount, just a regular part time job. I heard that depending how much I earned maybe I don`t even have to pay any tax when I declare.

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
Thank you for your answer.

Do you know how many % of it ? It`s not a big amount, just a regular part time job. I heard that depending how much I earned maybe I don`t even have to pay any tax when I declare.
It depends on your income. You can estimate how much you would deduct tax off your wages based on your hours and rate you are being paid for.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
People told me that this is not wrong
Regardless of whether you don't make enough to have taxes deducted or not, earnings need to be reported. Otherwise it's illegal and you'll be the one that gets screwed. Remember, CRA has the right to review your bank deposits as part of an audit if they so desire. You would have to explain where any funds came from. Trying to hide earnings from CRA is generally a really, really bad idea.

When you prepare your tax return, you must report as income most amounts you receive in the year. As a resident of Canada, you have to report your income from all sources, both inside and outside Canada.
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/about-your-tax-return/tax-return/completing-a-tax-return/personal-income.html

Nov 4, 2017
Regardless of whether you don't make enough to have taxes deducted or not, earnings need to be reported. Otherwise it's illegal and you'll be the one that gets screwed. Remember, CRA has the right to review your bank deposits as part of an audit if they so desire. You would have to explain where any funds came from. Trying to hide earnings from CRA is generally a really, really bad idea.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/about-your-tax-return/tax-return/completing-a-tax-return/personal-income.html
Right ! I'll just hire an accountant for that ! I'll not hide anything ! Thanks man.