+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

DIY CEC Application or lawyer?

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
Hey guys, just wondering if you'd suggest taking a lawyer to file my CEC application this year,
or should I do it on my own?
If there's a chance of saving the $1500-$4000 for the lawyer I'd happily do it. So if you could
share your experience with me, that'd help me a lot.
How long does it take to fill out all the forms? Any problems getting documents from your home country?
What documents do I need to proof the 12 months of full-time employment? Do you recommend submitting additional
documents to support my case?
Please don't refer to the CEC program on the CIC website as I've already read that, but I am intereset
in experiences from people who actually filed there application themselves or the ones who paid for a lawyer.

Thanks a ton!

petitmalin3

Aug 6, 2012
Hi

What you can do is fill-in all the forms gather all required documents and then get a lawyer just to make sure everything is in place that way you can save a lot of money, at least that was my approach and it worked for me.

Cheers

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
petitmalin3 said:
Hi

What you can do is fill-in all the forms gather all required documents and then get a lawyer just to make sure everything is in place that way you can save a lot of money, at least that was my approach and it worked for me.

Cheers
How much did the lawyer charge you to just kinda 'prove-read' your application?

petitmalin3

Aug 6, 2012
It depends on how fast you get all the documents required such as translations, police certificate, photos, birth certificate and so on, just follow CIC website and make sure all the forms are the latest ones.

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
petitmalin3 said:
It depends on how fast you get all the documents required such as translations, police certificate, photos, birth certificate and so on, just follow CIC website and make sure all the forms are the latest ones.
Well I'm in no rush. I'll have my 12 months in August this year. So if I start filling out all the forms now,
I got lotsa time to get all my docs and translations by August. You recommend filing the application myself and
then just pass it on to a lawyer to proof-read it?

leib

Star Member
Jun 22, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
i think you could do it yourself everything is exlained on CIC website very clearly. read instructions twice and thats it

raisemyrent

Star Member
Feb 13, 2013
I know of a few people who have done the application themselves, well, completed it, and then had a solicitor go through it for ~$150. They saved a lot of money like that. My company's big law firm quoted us 6k, which my company offered to split. He would've put everything together and it was convenient, but I saved the 3k. I personally brought the last few documents to a commissioner of oaths nearby who happened to be an immigration lawyer and he quickly gave a look at my application and gave me a few pointers while he was certifying my copies. He didn't charge me a dime.
Good luck

Andy2109

Champion Member
May 7, 2012
London Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02 Jan 13
AOR Received.
17 Feb 13
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
23 Oct 13
Arun,
It is not a difficult task to prepare your own package. Take out time, go through the CIC portal on CEC and refer to the old posts on this forum. You will find lots of info.
And if you have any difficulty, post your question on the forum and there are many who will help you. ALL THE BEST!

charmevenus

Star Member
Dec 28, 2009
In Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
Submiited with application
I am intending to DIY on CEC application, 12 month skilled WP on July 2013.
Any recommendation concerning settlement program in Alberta that is close to Calgary where I resides and works? Have any one tried contacting Temporary Foreign Advisory offices either in Edmonton or Calgary on CEC application by chance?
If so, kindly share experiences.

InfoSeeker12

Champion Member
Aug 28, 2012
Canada
LANDED..........
Sep 2013
Hi Toby,

Andy is absolutely spot on. You can always use the Canadavisa forum as your resource guide - lots of collective wisdom here :)

Though, if you follow the instructions its pretty simple. I applied my CEC on my own. The guide has the list of docs required. Police Certificates and Notice of Assessment can be submitted later (i did it that way). But then, try to submit copies of all your pay slips, T4 etc initially. And if something is not ready at the time, then just put it down in a brief letter to the officer, if you can signpost a timeline when that document will be available - that will be awesome.

All the best.

mydandelions

Star Member
Jan 14, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
Jan. 24, 2013
AOR Received.
Mar. 4, 2013
IELTS Request
sent with application
Med's Request
RPRF/Biodata Request Nov. 27, Medical Request Nov. 28, 2013
Med's Done....
Dec. 11, 2013 Meds sent Dec. 29, 2013
Passport Req..
March 12, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
March 26, 2014
LANDED..........
March 29, 2014
iam_toby said:
Hey guys, just wondering if you'd suggest taking a lawyer to file my CEC application this year,
or should I do it on my own?
If there's a chance of saving the $1500-$4000 for the lawyer I'd happily do it. So if you could
share your experience with me, that'd help me a lot.
How long does it take to fill out all the forms? Any problems getting documents from your home country?
What documents do I need to proof the 12 months of full-time employment? Do you recommend submitting additional
documents to support my case?
Please don't refer to the CEC program on the CIC website as I've already read that, but I am intereset
in experiences from people who actually filed there application themselves or the ones who paid for a lawyer.

Thanks a ton!
I did mine on my own 'cause I think my case is pretty straight-forward. A friend of mine however went to a consultant at first because he somehow have a complicated marital case, made him fill-out the forms, gather the documents and made him pay a $500.00 initial payment and the remainder shall be paid in full ($2300 plus photocopies, etc) upon submission of the application. He realized that he is still doing most of the stuff and the consultant was just putting them all together when in fact he can do it on his own! Eventually, money did play a role in his situation so he backed-out and took back all his documents from the consultant. He also said bye-bye to the 500 bucks.

sorry for the novel.. :-[ just wanted to share.