+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

divorced before landing in canada

fiona19888

Oct 16, 2014
Hello guys,

I got married to a Canadian citizen in Oct, 2012. We applied to a family class sponsorship to get a PR for me (My husband is my sponsor). I recieved my immigration visa in May,2014 . We were having relationship problems since a while, at the end both of us agreed to get divorced before any of us get hurt more emotionally and we got officially divorced a month ago. I never landed in Canada since we got married (I continued living in my homecountry). Should I inform CIC about our divorce or if it is unnecessary since I am not planning to go to Canada as an immigrant anyway, because I ended my relationship with my husband completely.

I checked CIC's official website about any info regarding my question, did not find anything.

Any information about my question would be appreciated.
Thank you.

turntopage47

Star Member
Jun 3, 2014
I'm not sure, but the first thing that popped into my mind when I read your post was the question:

Did you pay all of your fees upfront?

If you paid the landing fee there might be a possibility it could be refunded.
Also, I think you might want to mention it to them so that it's on record if you decide to apply again in the future.
Might make the next time easier on you. Also easier on him if he sponsors someone else one day.

BUT.. that being said, I am no expert. I hope someone else can give you better advice.

fiona19888

Oct 16, 2014
Thank you for your reply.

I did not pay for landing actually, because I never landed in Canada, since we got married I lived in my homecountry (not in Canada). But I paid for everything else regards to application and etc. I am not expecting money refund anyway. But if it can make a trouble for me in the future (because of getting an immigration visa, but not using it until the expiration date), I would like to know my responsibilities.

best regards,

Smsm81

Oct 24, 2012
fiona19888 said:
Thank you for your reply.

I did not pay for landing actually, because I never landed in Canada, since we got married I lived in my homecountry (not in Canada). But I paid for everything else regards to application and etc. I am not expecting money refund anyway. But if it can make a trouble for me in the future (because of getting an immigration visa, but not using it until the expiration date), I would like to know my responsibilities.

best regards,
As you received your visa so this means you already paid the landing fees. I guess if you or your husband will report that to CIC then; your visa might have some issues.. However if none of you report to CIC, then I think you can land, if you want.
You simply can inform CIC if you want them to know .

sakamath

Feb 11, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi, India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2008
Doc's Request.
Nov 2011
AOR Received.
17-May-2012
File Transfer...
8 Mar 2012
Med's Request
26-Nov-2012
Med's Done....
24-Dec-2012
Passport Req..
26-Nov-2012
VISA ISSUED...
App abandoned in July '14
If you talk about responsibilities, then it is your duty to contact CIC about the change in your marital status as well as your intention not to go to Canada at this point it time. It is always a good practice to close all chapters before turning to a new one. Just in case, further down the road, if you do get a chance to come to Canada, not having closed your file would bring much harm to your future application.

Maddants

Champion Member
Oct 18, 2012
Kingston
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan. 23, 2012
AOR Received.
June 11, 2012
File Transfer...
June 26, 2012
Med's Request
Jan. 11, 2015
Med's Done....
Dec. 9, 2011 / Nov. 9, 2015
Interview........
Sept. 17, 2013
Passport Req..
February 29, 2016
VISA ISSUED...
March 7, 2016
LANDED..........
April 28, 2016
fiona19888 said:
Hello guys,

I got married to a Canadian citizen in Oct, 2012. We applied to a family class sponsorship to get a PR for me (My husband is my sponsor). I recieved my immigration visa in May,2014 . We were having relationship problems since a while, at the end both of us agreed to get divorced before any of us get hurt more emotionally and we got officially divorced a month ago. I never landed in Canada since we got married (I continued living in my homecountry). Should I inform CIC about our divorce or if it is unnecessary since I am not planning to go to Canada as an immigrant anyway, because I ended my relationship with my husband completely.

I checked CIC's official website about any info regarding my question, did not find anything.

Any information about my question would be appreciated.
Thank you.Hey there Fiona......If i was you i would not tell cic anything at all...I know you want to do the right thing but look at it this way. you get the chance to go to canada because that is what you want and alot of ppl are getting denied because they say that relationship is not genuine. It really sad that you hand your hubby broke up and got divorce. In alot of ppl eyes right now it look like you just did it to get to canada but im not going to be judgemental on that issue. I dont know which country you are from but look at how long it took you to get the visa and not you want to just throw it away, be my guess but this is my opinion is to land in canada and go stay with a friend or family until you get on your feet. Alot of ppl do it. it dont make any sense for you to go tru this whole sponsorship thing again over and you already do it and get threw...maybe if you try doing it over you might get rejected this time around. they always say opportunity only come once and this is yours so land in canada and see if you can go have a better life. nothing try nothing done.

kiwi123

Star Member
Jul 9, 2014
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 9 2014
AOR Received.
SA - 27 August 2014
Med's Done....
5 July 2014
Passport Req..
2 Dec 2014
VISA ISSUED...
18 Dec 2014
LANDED..........
15 Jan 2015
Smsm81 said:
As you received your visa so this means you already paid the landing fees. I guess if you or your husband will report that to CIC then; your visa might have some issues.. However if none of you report to CIC, then I think you can land, if you want.
You simply can inform CIC if you want them to know .
At landing she would have to report any changes in her relationship. It doesnt look like the OP is that interested in coming to Canada so I doubt she really wants to lie about her situation.

To the OP. You do not need to do anything, however if you ever want to apply for PR in canada again you will need to include information on why you didnt land this time.

sjcec01

Oct 17, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
i think it is better to inform cic about the change in relationship status and close the application file so that it doesnt affect your future - perhaps an email and keep it for your records.

fiona19888

Oct 16, 2014
Thank you guys a lot about your information.

As most of you mentioned, I will inform CIC then, or I will just let my husband to let them know about the divorce.

P.S: I dont need to lie anyone about my marital status at all. Because I did not get married just to get an opportunity to live in Canada. I am a doctor in my home country, and I have a proper job here:) Marriage was the only reason for which I decided to move to Canada. But this is life, not everything comes around as we always wish. Even getting married to a person who you love does not promise complete happiness in life. I understand some people have social, economical problems in their home countries, so I dont judge people even if they get married just for PR status in Canada. But I believe that, being with people who you love makes you more happy ,than any attractive countries with high socioeconomic status.

I wish you best of luck in all your future plans about building great life wherever you want though ;)

Peace:)

little_apple

Jun 11, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna/Austria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 20, 2013
Doc's Request.
June 4, 2013 & February 18, 2014
AOR Received.
May 5, 2013
File Transfer...
May 27, 2013
Med's Done....
April 4, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
exempt
VISA ISSUED...
April 17, 2014
LANDED..........
in Calgary since March 29, 2012. Landed as PR May 3, 2014
She wanted to come to Canada because of her husband not because it's Canada. Why should she land if the only reason to come here was her husband????

Just shaking my head right now. I'm just here because of my spouse. I would never be here without him. I had a better financial status in Germany.

Sounds like you just want to come to Canada for the money