+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Divorce during canada immigration proccessing

cares

Dec 15, 2011
I have been asked to undergo DNA test to prove parent-child between me and my included dependant which are my ex-husband my two kids. The problem is we are divorced and he has remarried and the kids custody has been given to me which I have all the documents, I don't know how to go about this DNA since we are no longer together, I don't know if I have to contact the embassy and explain this to them or not. Please advice if I will need a lawyer to contact them with my divorce paper, don't really know what to do.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Please clarify. You have been asked to take a DNA test to prove that your kids who are in your custody are your kids? If your kids are in your custody, what is the problem? You can take them for a blood test any time. What does the ex have to do with this?

cares

Dec 15, 2011
The problem is that his name was included for the DNA test because he was included in the application before we got divorced and I did not notify the embassy of the changes in my status from been married to divorced.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You must let immigration know about any changes in your family situation during processing so if you haven't told them yet that you are divorced, you better tell them now.

cares

Dec 15, 2011
Please do you think that wont affect my applicatio or the proccessing cos i have bn on ds issue since 2008, do you think I should mail them myself or use the service of an immigration lawyer. Thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You are posting under PNP immigration so are you a PNP applicant? When did you apply and when did you get divorced? For a PNP application, there is no problem if you get divorced but if you had applied under FSW, you would lose the points for your spouse.

cares

Dec 15, 2011
I received the approval last year march and i submitted the requested my documents in June last year to canadian embassy in accra am just getting the DNA test request this wednesday 14-12-2011

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
cares said:
I received the approval last year march and i submitted the requested my documents in June last year to canadian embassy in accra am just getting the DNA test request this wednesday 14-12-2011
So let them know you are divorced, send your divorce papers and custody papers so they know you have full custody and ask them to remove your ex from your application and ask them if they still need a DNA as it will be hard for you to get.