+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Divorce before the landing and after COPR

Realman007

Jun 19, 2021
Thanks sir for your precious information.
I would like to highlight also that in COPR it is written married as we have headed for divorce proceeding after we received COPR and visa. Does this may create any problem while landing. Can we correct the marital status at CBSA border after landing. Please guide further to conclude
Dear Amansethi86,
CBSA or IRCC doesn't decide if you are married or not, it is the court's order either from your country or from Canada. Remember "You are married until court decides to divorce" doesn't matter if you are separated or not, your status on COPR as Married is not wrong as long as you are not divorced. But once you get the divorce from the court then you need to send your COPR etc. back to IRCC to get it fixed along with proper documentations. I would assume why IRCC is not responding to your requests.
I would suggest you try to patchup and bring your spouse alonwith you to Canada if he or she agrees. I am not saying because of him (I am assuming Husband) rather for your little ones (they have not done any crime to grow up without their father). After arriving in Canada if you reconciliation doesn't work then it is not at all difficult to get a mutual divorce here in Canada.
Thanks and Best Regards

MJSPARV

Sep 17, 2020
Dear Amansethi86,
CBSA or IRCC doesn't decide if you are married or not, it is the court's order either from your country or from Canada. Remember "You are married until court decides to divorce" doesn't matter if you are separated or not, your status on COPR as Married is not wrong as long as you are not divorced. But once you get the divorce from the court then you need to send your COPR etc. back to IRCC to get it fixed along with proper documentations. I would assume why IRCC is not responding to your requests.
I would suggest you try to patchup and bring your spouse alonwith you to Canada if he or she agrees. I am not saying because of him (I am assuming Husband) rather for your little ones (they have not done any crime to grow up without their father). After arriving in Canada if you reconciliation doesn't work then it is not at all difficult to get a mutual divorce here in Canada.
Thanks and Best Regards
Pretty sure that if the divorce has been filed and/or they're separated that doing what you're suggesting @Realman007 has serious legal consequences and is likely to be considered misrepresentation. If you read through this forum there are plenty of examples of people not declaring a marital status change one way or the other and it haunting them for years. The original poster is doing the right thing by informing IRCC. You are suggesting a very bad course of action that can seriously impact the original poster and his/her children's future.

Also, while I don't think divorce is always the best course of action you know nothing about what's leading to this divorce, what impact having parents in an unhappy relationship may be having on the kids etc. Sometimes divorce is actually better for the kids than the parents staying together. Stating that divorce is going to ruin the lives of these kids is extremely presumptuous. I'm sure the parents have carefully considered the impacts of staying together versus divorcing on their kids. Given that you and I are random internet strangers to this couple/family we don't have any place to do anything besides answer the immigration question asked, and should assume they know best about their family life.

Amansethi86

Star Member
Jan 31, 2021
Pretty sure that if the divorce has been filed and/or they're separated that doing what you're suggesting @Realman007 has serious legal consequences and is likely to be considered misrepresentation. If you read through this forum there are plenty of examples of people not declaring a marital status change one way or the other and it haunting them for years. The original poster is doing the right thing by informing IRCC. You are suggesting a very bad course of action that can seriously impact the original poster and his/her children's future.

Also, while I don't think divorce is always the best course of action you know nothing about what's leading to this divorce, what impact having parents in an unhappy relationship may be having on the kids etc. Sometimes divorce is actually better for the kids than the parents staying together. Stating that divorce is going to ruin the lives of these kids is extremely presumptuous. I'm sure the parents have carefully considered the impacts of staying together versus divorcing on their kids. Given that you and I are random internet strangers to this couple/family we don't have any place to do anything besides answer the immigration question asked, and should assume they know best about their family life.
Hi Sir,

Thanks for your kind reply..

I have informed CIC through webform and NDVO by mail as well and after 1.5 months also, I am awaiting for their reply. In that case, if I travel to canada and inform border authorities regarding our filed divorce(results awaited after 6 months) providing the documents and showing them mails informing them, then what will be consequences. Let me know your reply.

Nature123

Oct 16, 2022
Hi, I am the main applicant and my husband is the dependent. We received the PPR, and I have already landed in Canada as PR. We are now going to get separated and planning to file a divorce in few months time. He did not submit the documents to get the COPR as well. How can I remove him from the application now. Thank you.