+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Divorce after ppr, PLEASE PLEASE help me.

Amansethi86

Star Member
Jan 31, 2021
Since you are not legally divorced and if you are the Primary Applicant. You should immediately contact IRCC via the Case Specific Enquiry system (webform) and let them know that your circumstances have changed. Do NOT attempt to land as a PR until you have been told what to do.

Anyone who comes across your post will have the following suggestions:

• Complete your landing immediately as the main applicant. Sort out your marital situation after. Possible Counter arguments to the said suggestion is as follows
    • That's inappropriate advice, for two reasons.
      1) it's misrepresentation.
      2) the Primary applicant doesn't want their spouse to be landed. If the Primary applicant doesn't land, the dependent can't either.
Those who disagree to the above mentioned will put forth this -
1) Misrepresentation - The couple is still legally married until a divorce. "Intention" to file divorce is not reasonable grounds for misrepresentation.
2) The principal applicant will jeopardize the whole application in attempt to get his/her partner off the application. It's best to land and then part ways.
  • Legally married BUT essentially "separated". That is considered as a change in circumstances. Anticipate scrutiny if soon after landing you separate or never live together in Canada.

Contacting IRCC via the Case Specific Enquiry system to let them know your situations changed and waiting for their response about what to do next is one option which could be a smooth way of handling the situation if you don't want to end up in situations which will drag you into hassles. And this could be a time consuming process but this will give you a good start when you arrive in Canada rather going after the divorce and settlement issues soon after you land.

This my opinion and I am not a professional, There could be easy and effective possible solutions by anybody else who went through this situation. Wait a bit and see if anybody else will give you better suggestions
Thanks for such a concrete information. I was thinking to inform CIC regarding our circumstances and inform them to make my spouse non accompanying at the time. When divorce is finalised, we will submit decree to them.
Please advise

Nature123

Oct 16, 2022
Hi, I am the main applicant and my husband is the dependent. We received the PPR, and I have already landed in Canada as PR. We are now going to get separated and planning to file a divorce in few months time. He did not submit the documents to get the COPR as well. How can I remove him from the application now. Thank you.

xuan

Star Member
Nov 27, 2018
Hi, I am the main applicant and my husband is the dependent. We received the PPR, and I have already landed in Canada as PR. We are now going to get separated and planning to file a divorce in few months time. He did not submit the documents to get the COPR as well. How can I remove him from the application now. Thank you.
if he didn't land yet, you can fill the divorce and inform IRCC.
if he already landed he is already a PR you can do nothing.

that's what i did and all is fine.

Nature123

Oct 16, 2022
if he didn't land yet, you can fill the divorce and inform IRCC.
if he already landed he is already a PR you can do nothing.

that's what i did and all is fine.
Thanks for the reply. He did not land yet and not even submitted the documents to Visa office to get the COPR and visa stamp. But the filing of divorce can take time and meanwhile there is a deadline comes soon for him to submit the documents to visa office. Can I just inform IRCC that I will get divorced and remove him from the application? He did not add points to the application.