+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

discrepancy between PR application & previous permits application

Sarah1980

Apr 15, 2019
Hello,

I am probably going to be able to apply for PR through different streams (post graduate student specific provincial streams and PNP). However, I have a problem concerning the personal history part.
I am not going to claim any work experience in the streams I want to apply to, as it is based only on education. However, I know I have to put it in my personal history. I have already applied to 2 permits in the past ( 3 and 4 years ago) and I realized that in the employment part I had to fill, I put the wrong dates between 2 jobs (instead of job A finishing in Feb 2012 & job B starting then, I put job A finishing July 2011 & Job B starting then). Also, I would have no way to prove this work experience if asked, as it was in a country where people don't get pay slips or contracts or anything.

I know they sometimes check previous applications, since they have access to them and any discrepency, even if it not relevant for the application (since I do not claim any work experience) might raise a red flag and I have seen people called on that by CIC with fairness letters, even if they were not claiming points for these.
(I am in particular referring to this: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/pls-help-me-with-procedural-fairness-letter.399381/#post-4994476)

So now I am kind of wondering what should I do with that ?
- Should I put the correct dates and explain that in previous applications I did a mistake ? (but that would kind of put me under more scrutinity maybe).
- Or put the same dates I have been putting in previous applications, since I am not claiming anything for it and it is the same job, just in another place, in the same country.
- Or put the correct dates and do not explain anything unless asked (but if that is the case I feel like it is risky)

Any advice ??

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Put the correct dates in on your form if you know there was a mistake in previous applications. Include a sentence in your cover letter that explains that you had previously put incorrect months on the personal history employment section by mistake.

Honestly, this is such a small issue - if you still worked at the same place, but you have just mixed up start/end dates, this won't matter all that much. People forget what year they started certain jobs. I do. I have to look at LinkedIn or something to verify!

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Put the correct dates in on your form if you know there was a mistake in previous applications. Include a sentence in your cover letter that explains that you had previously put incorrect months on the personal history employment section by mistake.

Honestly, this is such a small issue - if you still worked at the same place, but you have just mixed up start/end dates, this won't matter all that much. People forget what year they started certain jobs. I do. I have to look at LinkedIn or something to verify!
I concur.

Migggue

May 27, 2022
So what happened and what did you do? Did you write the letter of explanation?

Last edited: