+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Difference between 2 statutory questions

Sarah1980

Apr 15, 2019
Hello everyone,

If I had a work permit for Canada refused, should I answer yes to both these questions or only the 2nd ??

1. Has [name of applicant] been refused refugee status, or an immigrant or permanent resident visa (including a Certificat de sélection du Québec (CSQ) or application to the Provincial nominee Program) or visitor or temporary resident visa, to Canada or any other country?

2. Has [name of application] ever been refused a visa or permit, denied entry or ordered to leave Canada or any other country?

This link below got me confused as they say the term "temporary resident visa" in the first question applied to work permits as well in the 1st question and therefore I should answer yes to that first question as well according to this group of lawyers. When I check on the IRCC website it looks like temporary resident visa is something completely different.

https://www.bellissimolawgroup.com/two-of-the-most-dangerous-questions-on-canadian-immigration-forms/

It also seems that sometimes people are asked to fill the IMM5669 (schedule A) and on that one the question 6d is the same as question 1 but question 6e does not talk about visa or permit and therefore if you had a work permit refusal I assume you would answer yes to question 6d, which would mean I should probably answer yes to question 1 and question 2 ?

This is the IMM5669 questions:

6d. Has [name of applicant] been refused refugee status, or an immigrant or permanent resident visa (including a Certificat de sélection du Québec (CSQ) or application to the Provincial nominee Program) or visitor or temporary resident visa, to Canada or any other country?

6e. Has [name of applicant] ever been refused admission, or ordered to leave Canada or any other country?

Last edited: