+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Did You Encounter this in Your Speaking Exam? Please Reply

maria93

Dec 2, 2016
People are normally asked questions about general things and their opinion on those things in IELTS speaking test. Whereas, I was asked about the geography of my country (Pakistan) and its water bodies (lakes, rivers, and all). Given the limited knowledge I have on this, I found it difficult to answer those questions, but made sure to generate ideas around the topic and kept speaking, with correct grammar and good vocabulary, with a few short pauses. It sounded a lot like geography test instead of language proficiency assessment. I mean, I wasn't asked about anything like A gift I had received, habit formation, Kindness extended to me by someone or anything as general as that, but rather the knowledge surrounding my country's geography and hydrology. The score I received on my answers was 6.5. It was conducted by British Council.

Can anyone please tell me why are some candidates asked questions like that, instead of being asked questions about general things that indicate more better the level of your actual spoken conversation skills, fluency, and the ability to successfully carry conversations on general topics? Why such unfairness? Wondering.

Awaiting your replies.

iamhammad

Oct 14, 2017
People are normally asked questions about general things and their opinion on those things in IELTS speaking test. Whereas, I was asked about the geography of my country (Pakistan) and its water bodies (lakes, rivers, and all). Given the limited knowledge I have on this, I found it difficult to answer those questions, but made sure to generate ideas around the topic and kept speaking, with correct grammar and good vocabulary, with a few short pauses. It sounded a lot like geography test instead of language proficiency assessment. I mean, I wasn't asked about anything like A gift I had received, habit formation, Kindness extended to me by someone or anything as general as that, but rather the knowledge surrounding my country's geography and hydrology. The score I received on my answers was 6.5. It was conducted by British Council.

Can anyone please tell me why are some candidates asked questions like that, instead of being asked questions about general things that indicate more better the level of your actual spoken conversation skills, fluency, and the ability to successfully carry conversations on general topics? Why such unfairness? Wondering.

Awaiting your replies.
This is very strange. Topics in speaking are supposed to be general and relevant to everyone.

Reactions: maria93

maria93

Dec 2, 2016
This is very strange. Topics in speaking are supposed to be general and relevant to everyone.
I agree. Other candidates were asked similar questions. If this is how British Council conducts the speaking test on some days, I'm afraid people it would lose credibility.

avlesk

Star Member
Jan 20, 2018

Awaiting your replies.
I took the exam in U.S. It is not unusual for examiners to ask questions about our native place. I was asked to explain about my home town in detail during the first session. At times, it was about the job. What was the exact question that you got in the monologue?

maria93

Dec 2, 2016
I took the exam in U.S. It is not unusual for examiners to ask questions about our native place. I was asked to explain about my home town in detail during the first session. At times, it was about the job.
I took the exam in U.S. It is not unusual for examiners to ask questions about our native place. I was asked to explain about my home town in detail during the first session. At times, it was about the job. What was the exact question that you got in the monologue?
I was asked about similar things in the 1st part. The 2nd part contained these questions: Describe the bodies of water in your country, and that where they're located. Explain in detail the one you like.

Part 3: Again, it was drab, but better than the 2nd part. Related questions followed, like activities associated with water, revenue sources, how one specific activity is done and how commercially viable it is.

It may be that I was not well prepared, since I had not practiced for the speaking module, thinking it would be more like a light, casual, friendly conversation.

What were you asked in the other 2 parts of your test, and what was your module? Also, what was your score on it?

avlesk

Star Member
Jan 20, 2018
I was asked about similar things in the 1st part. The 2nd part contained these questions: Describe the bodies of water in your country, and that where they're located. Explain in detail the one you like.

Part 3: Again, it was drab, but better than the 2nd part. Related questions followed, like activities associated with water, revenue sources, how one specific activity is done and how commercially viable it is.

It may be that I was not well prepared, since I had not practiced for the speaking module, thinking it would be more like a light, casual, friendly conversation.

What were you asked in the other 2 parts of your test, and what was your module? Also, what was your score on it?
Part 2: Explain an item that you purchased recently. Why did you buy it? What do you like with your purchase?
Part 3: Follow-up on shopping habits and shopping complexes.

I took the general module

maria93

Dec 2, 2016
Part 2: Explain an item that you purchased recently. Why did you buy it? What do you like with your purchase?
Part 3: Follow-up on shopping habits and shopping complexes.

I took the general module
Alright, good luck with everything! :)