+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Did not declare previous US visa refusal in work permit application - Please help!!

dert123

Jan 7, 2020
Hello Everyone,

I have a LMIA based work permit and have been living and working in Canada for the past few months.
Recently I realised that I had misread one question in my visa application - 'Have you ever been refused a visa or permit, denied entry or ordered to leave Canada or any other country'. I though they were only referring to Canada. Hence I did not declare my previous US B1 visa rejection (That happened in August 2019)

I'm surprised that this error was not pointed out in my application and I was allowed to enter and work in Canada nevertheless. I'm afraid that this might be found later on would be classified as misrepresentation.

I have plans to apply for an H1B visa for the US or a Canadian PR in the coming months.
What should be my course of action now? Should I inform the IRCC about the mistake in my application or should I just provide the correct information in my PR / H1B application? What are the odds of me being charged with misrepresentation and the 5 year ban?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
When you next apply for a Canadian visa/status/anything, include a letter of explanation that addresses this.

Can't comment on your "chances" or "odds."

Reactions: dert123

dert123

Jan 7, 2020
When you next apply for a Canadian visa/status/anything, include a letter of explanation that addresses this.

Can't comment on your "chances" or "odds."
Thanks a lot for replying!
Won't it be better to let the IRCC know right away about this mistake?