+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Did I successfully renewed my PR?

MoeMoeMoe

Jul 23, 2024
Hi everyone, hope you are doing well!

My title may sound silly but I just want to confirm one thing:

If I received a new PR card with updated expiration date, does this officially confirm that I already completed my PR renew successfully?

I asked such question is due to the following reasons despite I received the new PR card:

1. The PR portal didn't update the status of my application, which is still "Submitted".
2. I did not get any notification or email message in my email box despite it seems final decision is already made at least 10 days ago.
3. The process is too fast, the average PR renew processing time is between 68-71 days as I used official website as reference. People may not believe (even myself initially), I seems got approved within one week right after I submit my application.
4. All of a sudden I got my physical new PR card when I check my mailbox downstairs.

The new PR card seems official and legitimate based on the updated photo and updated expiration date according to my application.

However, there is no other way to verify if my PR status is already renewed or not beside using the PR portal - the IRCC portal is isolated and cannot retrieve info.

I am curious if I was overthinking it and everything is already complete despite the weird situation happened mentioned above?

Thank you all!

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Hi everyone, hope you are doing well!

My title may sound silly but I just want to confirm one thing:

If I received a new PR card with updated expiration date, does this officially confirm that I already completed my PR renew successfully?

I asked such question is due to the following reasons despite I received the new PR card:

1. The PR portal didn't update the status of my application, which is still "Submitted".
2. I did not get any notification or email message in my email box despite it seems final decision is already made at least 10 days ago.
3. The process is too fast, the average PR renew processing time is between 68-71 days as I used official website as reference. People may not believe (even myself initially), I seems got approved within one week right after I submit my application.
4. All of a sudden I got my physical new PR card when I check my mailbox downstairs.

The new PR card seems official and legitimate based on the updated photo and updated expiration date according to my application.

However, there is no other way to verify if my PR status is already renewed or not beside using the PR portal - the IRCC portal is isolated and cannot retrieve info.

I am curious if I was overthinking it and everything is already complete despite the weird situation happened mentioned above?

Thank you all!
You are probably overthinking things.

There is no renewal of PR status, by the way. The PR card is more like a passport (expired passport does not mean a person is no longer a citizen) than a drivers' license (expired license means the individual is no longer licensed).

Meanwhile, many low-complex online PR card applications are processed automatically, employing analytical functions that many describe as components of AI. Those applications that benefit from this are approved near immediately.

The posted processing times are for most routinely processed applications. Unless and until there is much higher percentage of applications meeting the criteria for automated decision making, that timeline will continue to be a lot longer.

Congratulations.

Just to be clear: the new PR card does NOT start a new five year Residency Obligation period of time. To comply with the RO going forward you will need to be in Canada at least 730 days within the last five years . . . as of any day your RO compliance is examined.

Reactions: armoured

MoeMoeMoe

Jul 23, 2024
You are probably overthinking things.

There is no renewal of PR status, by the way. The PR card is more like a passport (expired passport does not mean a person is no longer a citizen) than a drivers' license (expired license means the individual is no longer licensed).

Meanwhile, many low-complex online PR card applications are processed automatically, employing analytical functions that many describe as components of AI. Those applications that benefit from this are approved near immediately.

The posted processing times are for most routinely processed applications. Unless and until there is much higher percentage of applications meeting the criteria for automated decision making, that timeline will continue to be a lot longer.

Congratulations.

Just to be clear: the new PR card does NOT start a new five year Residency Obligation period of time. To comply with the RO going forward you will need to be in Canada at least 730 days within the last five years . . . as of any day your RO compliance is examined.
Thank you very much for your reply! So the the lack of update in PR portal as well as lack of email confirmation of final decision is expected? I am quite relieved now!

But I do think the system itself needs lots of improvements, I regularly check my email and PR portal, didn't even think I just need to check my mailbox downstairs...

Thank you again!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you very much for your reply! So the the lack of update in PR portal as well as lack of email confirmation of final decision is expected? I am quite relieved now!

But I do think the system itself needs lots of improvements, I regularly check my email and PR portal, didn't even think I just need to check my mailbox downstairs...

Thank you again!
The portals do not always get updated. The card is the card, real world a better indicator of real world than some online derivative.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Thank you again!
It is essentially a form of id/travel document. You don’t get advised of approval of most other documents in Canada. No news is good news is the typical policy.