+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dependant Sponsorship while dating/Engaged

info_lera

Aug 12, 2014
Hi

i am currently busy with my sponsorship through my father, i got engaged to my partner. but we are not staying together and we plan to marry in 2016 after my partner is done with school.

My Question is, do i need to declare that i am engaged when i land? or it does not matter since we are not married and not staying together?

My other question is, after we marry, does it matter how long ihave been in canada to sponsor my partner? since i was sponsored as a dependant. example, lets say i have been in canada for 4months as a sponsored dependant, and i get married, how long do i wait to sponsor.

thank you in advance

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
info_lera said:
Hi

i am currently busy with my sponsorship through my father, i got engaged to my partner. but we are not staying together and we plan to marry in 2016 after my partner is done with school.

My Question is, do i need to declare that i am engaged when i land? or it does not matter since we are not married and not staying together?

My other question is, after we marry, does it matter how long ihave been in canada to sponsor my partner? since i was sponsored as a dependant. example, lets say i have been in canada for 4months as a sponsored dependant, and i get married, how long do i wait to sponsor.

thank you in advance
As long as you are not married/common-law, you don't need to say anything. You can sponsor as soon as you become married/common-law. There is no post-PR waiting period.

info_lera

Aug 12, 2014
Thank you zardoz, so does it mean that when the time comes for getting married, the engagement date on the form wont matter?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
info_lera said:
Thank you zardoz, so does it mean that when the time comes for getting married, the engagement date on the form wont matter?
Correct. CIC doesn't care about engagements as they are not formal states. You should have nothing to worry about when the time comes to sponsor.

dani2

Aug 17, 2014
My father sponsored me last june 5,2012, and that time im 22 years old.. the update on my ecas is only application recieved june 5,2012.. its been two years and no latest update yet.. im worried because im turning 25 this year..