+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

DENIED JOB OFFER WITH RBC DO TO BAD CREDIT FROM USA

rl9700

Oct 22, 2010
Please help......I received a great job offer from RBC but it was re-sended because of Bad Credit in the USA. What do I do.... is this even legal?Huh

Help me understand my rights for the next job offer received....because I have no credit here in Canada do I disclose my credit history from the states?

explorer101

Champion Member
Jan 30, 2010
CANADA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rl9700 said:
Please help......I received a great job offer from RBC but it was re-sended because of Bad Credit in the USA. What do I do.... is this even legal?Huh

Help me understand my rights for the next job offer received....because I have no credit here in Canada do I disclose my credit history from the states?
Banks in Canada are quite strict in regard to credit and background check in regard to new employees. You would have to settle the claim in USA which is creating trouble for you. The step of Bank is perfectly legal.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
Did you give them permission to access your U.S. credit file or is this information reported on your Canadian credit file? Relying on foreign credit records to deny employment sounds legally fishy. Check with a lawyer.

attituderockz

Star Member
Mar 29, 2010
as far as i know the canadian banks have strict process...explorer is right..since i work in a bank i know the process..even when i joined they checked my credit and criminal history...they have contacted all my previous employers and verified about me ..they have contacted all my educational institutions...i mean almost everything ..they have asked me four references and they have contacted each and every one..

hope it clarifies.....

rl9700

Oct 22, 2010
Maybe, I can clear this by saying.....I have PR status and a SIN # and my thought is..... if they were to hire me by sponsorship to work in Canada then sure check my credit history in the US before hiring me. But I'm legally in Canada and I'm applying as a candidate that does not need sponsorship and so the credit and background check should only be based on me living in Canada and not the US. I think the next position I will state that I'm a Canadian permanent resident and so if I have no credit or criminal history that it should stand as such and not give permission to check my US background. If the banks don't review my credit history from the states to determine my credit worthiness in order to issue credit here in Canada then it should be the same with employment?

jamesbond

Star Member
Oct 30, 2008
Well, banks are banks.
If you have a bad credit history in US you will probably have one like that in Canada (not saying you will, but that's how banks will think).
I am only speculating, but I but credit history is pretty important for a financial institution.