+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Delay in study permit approval applied from within Canada

forevermore76

May 19, 2024
How? Only US citizens can apply for study permit at POE.

Only the following people can apply for a study permit at a Canadian port of entry:

• citizens and permanent residents of the USA,
  • residents of Greenland and St. Pierre and Miquelon.
My bad, totally missed Italy in there.

AG07

Jun 9, 2024
If you want to try it then go ahead. If denied, then you will know. You may even be denied entry into Canada. I find it hard to believe that CBSA allowed it as Chinese students are more heavily scrutinized. So the student was a PhD student and didn’t have a study permit and applied at the border?
Yes, the student who I mentioned was in the same situation as my girlfriend. Same Canadian university, same department and program, just different home universities/countries (China and Italy). My concern is if my girlfriend's entry is denied then what to do we do? She would be stranded in no man's land since she is currently in Italy would have to specially fly to Canada to try this.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Yes, the student who I mentioned was in the same situation as my girlfriend. Same Canadian university, same department and program, just different home universities/countries (China and Italy). My concern is if my girlfriend's entry is denied then what to do we do? She would be stranded in no man's land since she is currently in Italy would have to specially fly to Canada to try this.
Would confirm with friend that applied for study permit at border without LOI, and doesn’t dual citizenship. Would not be in no man’s land if denied as she would be sent back to Italy.

AG07

Jun 9, 2024
Would confirm with friend that applied for study permit at border without LOI, and doesn’t dual citizenship. Would not be in no man’s land if denied as she would be sent back to Italy.
Thank you (and to everyone else on this post) for all the pointers and advice. Must say that the responses on this post in 2 days have been more helpful than IRCC in 5 months!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Sorry, maybe I should have added this extra detail. She is part of a double PhD program between her home university in Italy and Western University in Canada and is required to conduct her research at both places. She was officially accepted into both Universities last fall. To start her research at Western she came here as a visiting student upon receiving an invitation letter. The idea, as recommended/proposed by the department here, was to apply while she is in Canada since the processing time was faster since this would allow her to start her scheduled research here without any delays. In short, she had an official invitation from Western to come as a visiting student along with her official full-time acceptance into the PhD program. She did what was suggested by the department/university at the time.

Our biggest dilemma now is-can something be done to speed up this current application/should we stick with this application? Or should we delete the application and start a fresh one from outside Canada since she is now in Italy. Note that she does not need a visa to come to Canada, only a study permit to stay here more than 6 months as a full-time student.
Thanks for the additional context. One unknown is whether it's clear to IRCC that your GF qualifies to apply from within Canada. If that is not clear based on the application and supporting evidence submitted, that could be a reason for the hold up.

There is no way to speed up processing unfortunately.

I would order GCMS notes regardless what you do next so that you can hopefully find out what triggered the delay.

Good luck and hope something works out.

AG07

Jun 9, 2024
Thanks for the additional context. One unknown is whether it's clear to IRCC that your GF qualifies to apply from within Canada. If that is not clear based on the application and supporting evidence submitted, that could be a reason for the hold up.

There is no way to speed up processing unfortunately.

I would order GCMS notes regardless what you do next so that you can hopefully find out what triggered the delay.

Good luck and hope something works out.
Thank you! I have submitted an ATIP requesting the officer's notes. Let's see what we find out.