+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Degree educated UK citizen with A-Level and GCSE in English - Express Entry?

kl-15

Oct 14, 2015
Hi everybody!

I have searched the forums but can't find any advice for a rather specific scenario...

First, a bit of background - I am degree educated (engineering, from a UK university), have worked in a managerial role for 2 years (if that is relevant) and have English A-Level and GCSE passes (A and A* respectively). I would therefore consider myself eligible for Express Entry in the "Skilled immigrants" category, however, I can't proceed past the English language qualification selection box, as there is no option to select GCSE/A-Level!

Would taking a trip to the Canadian Embassy along with my important documents in London get me further? It seems ridiculous that I would have to waste time and money studying for IELTS or CELPIP when it is obvious I already have the skills and proficiency in English!

Has anyone encountered a similar issue and what was your workaround? If I was to just select IELTS and enter the date of my completed A-Level, would this be considered acceptable? Would this cause issues further along the line?

Any help much appreciated!

Thanks,

K

shiv2809

Feb 12, 2015
As per my knowledge there's no option or privilege to upload other than IELTS or CELPIP. Even if you have done masters in english literature you are supposed to write IELTS or CELPIP. Its not worth to walk in to canadian embassy with all your docs. No one answers your question. you are wasting your time by researching. its better you book your test date and get the ielts results.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
IELTS (or another language test) is mandatory and you need to complete the test before you create your Express Entry profile. Your application will be automatically refused without it. You won't have time to take IELTS and obtain the results between the time you receive ITA and the time your application is due. So you'd file an incomplete application and be automatically refused.

Your plan is doomed to fail and talking to the Canadian Embassy will be a complete waste of time. The rules with regards to language tests are black and white.

If you are really serious about immigrating, take IELTS. If not, don't bother creating an Express Entry profile.

kl-15

Oct 14, 2015
Thanks for your responses; looks like I will be doing IELTS then :(

I've had a quick look at the question structure etc. - all looks super easy so will book ASAP (no training needed) - just additional cost, which is more of an annoyance.

Anya654

May 13, 2015
United Kingdom
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kl-15 said:
Thanks for your responses; looks like I will be doing IELTS then :(

I've had a quick look at the question structure etc. - all looks super easy so will book ASAP (no training needed) - just additional cost, which is more of an annoyance.
IELTS isn't a walk in the park even for a native English speaker. My advice, READ for it. Goodluck!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Anya654 said:
IELTS isn't a walk in the park even for a native English speaker. My advice, READ for it. Goodluck!
Agreed. We've seen a number of native English speakers perform badly on the IELTS exam on these forums due to lack of preparation. Don't make the same mistake. Make sure you take a few practice tests, understand the structure of the exam and how points are awarded.