+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Definition of Continuous Work

Bigwig

Oct 17, 2012
I've had multiple jobs back to back, and I'm trying to calculate if I have at least a year of work experience or not. There is slight time lapses between jobs (usually a week or two), but never longer. Does this qualify as continuous work experience? Can someone point me to the definition that the CIC uses?

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
You can find all sorts of information by doing a search in the white box at the top right of the main forum page, and on Google. It used to be that you could combine multiple NOCs, but that changed quite a while ago. The following was updated on 2012-03-22. Hope this helps.
Pg 22

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op06b-eng.pdf
Eligible NOC Codes Stream: Applicants must have at least one year of continuous full-time or
equivalent paid work experience in at least one of the listed NOCs and not combined partial year
experience in multiple NOCs. Anticipated short breaks between jobs are acceptable. For example, if an
applicant is employed in one occupation for a 4 month contract and before the end of that contract, has
secured other employment that will begin shortly after the end of first contract, this break in continuity
would be acceptable. The occupation must be listed in the MI.

shamim_ae

Jan 1, 2016
I have two employments under same NOC, but I have 1-month break between two employment, Can I add to service period to fulfill one years experience?

merc0139

Jan 6, 2016
shamim_ae said:
I have two employments under same NOC, but I have 1-month break between two employment, Can I add to service period to fulfill one years experience?

I have the same situation. Previous job and current job under same NOC. However about 40 days gap between the 2. Is that counted as continuous?

Kindly suggest and thank you so much in advance! :)

TLOU

Dec 21, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-02-2017
I am in the same boat as well. Trying to claim 1 year work experience within same NOC.

Job 1 = January 2015 - October 2015 (End of October)
Job 2 = November 2015(Start of November) - Current as of today (28 Jan 2016)

Anyone can shed some light?

mashamasha

Star Member
Mar 4, 2016
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
TLOU said:
I am in the same boat as well. Trying to claim 1 year work experience within same NOC.

Job 1 = January 2015 - October 2015 (End of October)
Job 2 = November 2015(Start of November) - Current as of today (28 Jan 2016)

Anyone can shed some light?
Hello! Have you resolved this issue? I am in the same boat, with one job ending mid-May 2016, and another one beginning June 2016 (current position). Two different companies, same NOC. Not sure if my exp. counts as continuous.

TLOU

Dec 21, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-02-2017
mashamasha said:
Hello! Have you resolved this issue? I am in the same boat, with one job ending mid-May 2016, and another one beginning June 2016 (current position). Two different companies, same NOC. Not sure if my exp. counts as continuous.
All good! It's considered continuous work. I'm currently waiting for Nomination. Good luck to you!

mashamasha

Star Member
Mar 4, 2016
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
TLOU said:
All good! It's considered continuous work. I'm currently waiting for Nomination. Good luck to you!
Many thanks! Good luck to you too!

rebelhero

Star Member
Jun 12, 2016
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
06-11-2016
Med's Done....
28-11-2016
Passport Req..
22-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
03-01-2017
LANDED..........
21-01-2017
TLOU said:
How do you it's considered continuous work? Any references for it?

Thanks

mashamasha

Star Member
Mar 4, 2016
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rebelhero said:
How do you it's considered continuous work? Any references for it?

Thanks
I did quite a bit of research on this and have heard different opinions. Some people say that a break up to three weeks is fine, others say that no more than two weeks between jobs are allowed. At the end of the day, it all comes down to the decision of the immigration officer, as the policy does not clearly define what a 'short break' entails... Hope this helps!

johnmunch

Nov 12, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Any guys on here who can give a feedback on how their applications worked out with the continuous work issue? This would be greatly appreciated.

TLOU

Dec 21, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-02-2017
johnmunch said:
Any guys on here who can give a feedback on how their applications worked out with the continuous work issue? This would be greatly appreciated.
I can confirm that it worked cause I got nomination and received ITA.

afsar9930

Star Member
Jul 24, 2015
Yesterday I talked to an immigration lawyer and he said if the break is small let's say 3 weeks thn cic usually takes it as a continuous experience. But if the break is let's say 3 months thn u can't claim one year

kunwerNouman

Jan 12, 2017
afsar9930 said:
Yesterday I talked to an immigration lawyer and he said if the break is small let's say 3 weeks thn cic usually takes it as a continuous experience. But if the break is let's say 3 months thn u can't claim one year
Good evening Stanely. Sorry I am taking the privilege to send you a private message.

I got an ITA too in this invitation round.
Grateful if you can resolve my confusion.

Background Info:
My work experience starts from 12 September 2013 to 8th August 2016. It is to be exact 2 years and 11 months. While filling the EOI application there is no option to select the dates, hence the tool calculated my score to be 469 ,Considering me in the category of having work experience of 3 years or more.

Question:
Whether i will be considered in this category of work experience i.e. 3 years or more by the CIC after submitting documents or not? Infact on CRS tool also there is no category for 2 to 3 years. only catgory of 1 yr, 2 yrs, 3 or more yrs are there.
what should i do....proceed with ITA or decline it.

regards

johnmunch

Nov 12, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
TLOU said:
TLOU, did you apply before November 2016? If yes then it could mean you 1 year work experience counted for the 2nd experience. Please explain