+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

DECLARATION OF A CHILD AND COMMON LAW

Feb 25, 2014
I just want some advice from you guys, my application is still on process as a dependent child but I already declared my common law partner, what will gonna happen? Is there a chance I can get my PR?

Feb 25, 2014
diomellebonjovi said:
I just want some advice from you guys, my application is still on process as a dependent child but I already declared my common law partner, what will gonna happen? Is there a chance I can get my PR?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Please provide the whole details of your situation. It is possible that you are now in a difficult position but there is insufficient information to help.

Feb 25, 2014
My mother sponsor me, as a dependent child. My application is already on process, infact my passport is in immigration already, but aside from my passport I send also a note that I have a child and a common law partner for 1 year. And then they email me back, they requiring me to send NSO birthcertifacate of my child, and my Certificate of no marriage. And a partner questionnaire, if I have a common law partner . What should I expect about this? COULD I GET MY PR CARD OR NOT?

Feb 25, 2014
diomellebonjovi said:
My mother sponsor me, as a dependent child. My application is already on process, infact my passport is in immigration already, but aside from my passport I send also a note that I have a child and a common law partner for 1 year. And then they email me back, they requiring me to send NSO birthcertifacate of my child, and my Certificate of no marriage. And a partner questionnaire, if I have a common law partner . What should I expect about this? COULD I GET MY PR CARD OR NOT?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
diomellebonjovi said:
You should expect that you will be dropped from your mother's application and not receive the PR visa. You no longer qualify to immigrate with your mother as a dependent if you have a common law partner.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
You should read here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/3999Etoc.asp

Definitions of dependent child (types A, B and C)
Your child or the child of your spouse or common-law partner can be considered a dependent child if that child meets the requirements of types A, B or C below:
TYPE A
The child is under the age of 22 and is single (not married and not in a common-law relationship).
TYPE B
The child has been continuously enrolled in and in attendance as a full‑time student at a post‑secondary institution accredited by the relevant government authority and has depended substantially on the financial support of a parent either:
since before the age of 22, or since marrying or entering into a common-law relationship (if it happened before the age of 22).
TYPE C
The child is 22 years of age or older, has depended substantially on the financial support of a parent since before the age of 22, and is unable to provide for himself or herself because of a medical condition.

Note: Dependent children must meet the above requirements on the day the Case Processing Centre in Mississauga (CPC-M) receives a complete application. Whether or not they have attained the age of 22, children falling under type A must not be married or be involved in a common-law relationship at the time of visa issuance and when they enter Canada.

So were you a dependent based on TYPE A (simply were under 22 years old), or TYPE B (based on being enrolled full time in university)? If it was TYPE A, then declaring you are now in a common-law relationship would unfortunately immediately disqualify you from being defined as a dependent.

The only solution I could see is to say you are now separated from your common-law spouse and are truly "single" again, but even if you could get PR that way it means you can pretty much never sponsor the child's father to Canada in the future.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
diomellebonjovi said:
But what if theres no evidence that I am in a common law relationship? Oh my God. Im so upset,
I guess you can lie (not recommended!) to CIC and hide it. But then you can get charged for misrepresentation (if they ever find out) and get your PR revoked, in addition to your mother's PR. And if you get away with it, you would never ever be able to sponsor your partner and child. But I don't know how you would try to hide it. You already sent CIC a note about it.

Feb 25, 2014
Yes. I know., thats why I send them a note, because I don't wanna lie. I'm still hoping that my application will be approve, . All I want is for me and my child go to canada

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
diomellebonjovi said:
Yes. I know., thats why I send them a note, because I don't wanna lie. I'm still hoping that my application will be approve, . All I want is for me and my child go to canada
Just to confirm... you have lived with your partner for at least 12 consecutive months uninterrupted?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

diomellebonjovi said:
You have already sent CIC a note stating you have a child and are in C/law relationship. You can expect your PR application to be refused.

M

mikeymyke

Yes, you definitely won't get PR, but coming clean about your marital status is better, because had you lied and said you were single, sure you will have gotten PR, but now you can never sponsor your partner or your child, because you've excluded them, and that would be incredibly selfish and cold leaving your family behind for your own PR.

Coming clean about it, not getting PR, and going back to your home country to be with your partner and child, that's the right thing to do. Maybe it was a honest mistake that you and your parents didn't know that you had to be single to be sponsored as a dependent, but either way, you need to do what's best for your child, and that is, you cannot leave him/her behind, and you need to go back your child. All hope is not lost, you can always apply under a skilled worker class, here in Alberta, we have a huge skilled trade shortage, and if you have such an occupation, you can get PR in under a year.

Feb 25, 2014
@mikeymike, thank you for the advise. I was relief because of it. Even i I cant get my PR, I'm still thankfull that I have a partnet and child here in the Philippines...