+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Deadline for medical exam after ITA

ALTN

Star Member
May 16, 2016
I am expecting/hoping to get my score above 480 by the beginning of March, but I have a few constraints for my Canadian immigration plan:
- I will not be able to travel to Canada before April 2022
- I'd rather not miss any round of invitation starting March because no one knows when the minimum score would get to an unreachable point (my score will drop significantly again this June / TEF test expires).
- I have no more than 1 year starting the date of the medical exam to travel to Canada if my application gets approved.

Suppose I get my ITA on March 3rd, and that I arrange my medical exam on April 15th, would that put me safely within the deadline for submitting my application?

Thank you

Bacelor

Oct 20, 2017
You have 90 days timeframe to submit a full application including your Upfront medical exam in Express entry stream ( No job offer no sponsorship non refugee or Asylum applicant). Also In addition to travel restrictions that states PR visa holders whom are planning to land for CoPr validation are considered non necessary and unapproved travel;; the processing time for an application is on avarage 6 months from AOR. So in theory you will not be able to travel till September providing that your application went smoothly within the normal processing time and was approved.

In summary plan for your medicals on 4th march it makes no difference, only your CoPr and PRv will expire in conjunction to or in alignment with your medicals expiry, thats one year period.
Good luck

ALTN

Star Member
May 16, 2016
You have 90 days timeframe to submit a full application including your Upfront medical exam in Express entry stream ( No job offer no sponsorship non refugee or Asylum applicant). Also In addition to travel restrictions that states PR visa holders whom are planning to land for CoPr validation are considered non necessary and unapproved travel;; the processing time for an application is on avarage 6 months from AOR. So in theory you will not be able to travel till September providing that your application went smoothly within the normal processing time and was approved.

In summary plan for your medicals on 4th march it makes no difference, only your CoPr and PRv will expire in conjunction to or in alignment with your medicals expiry, thats one year period.
Good luck
I believe you're answer assumed I cannot travel before April 2021, whereas in fact I plan to travel to Canada in April 2022 (next year). am-I wrong?

Otherwise I live in Paris, there seems to be no availability issues with medical exams, so why do-I need an Upfront medical exam if I am planning to travel only in April next year?

Thanks a lot for the quick answer by the way.

Bacelor

Oct 20, 2017
I believe you're answer assumed I cannot travel before April 2021, whereas in fact I plan to travel to Canada in April 2022 (next year). am-I wrong?

Otherwise I live in Paris, there seems to be no availability issues with medical exams, so why do-I need an Upfront medical exam if I am planning to travel only in April next year?

Thanks a lot for the quick answer by the way.
In Express entry Upfront medicals are mandatory see below
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/documents/medical-exams.html
In practice if you get an ITA for Express entry, in your My CIC account you will find a message whether to accept (within 30 days) or decline an ITA.
Once you accept it your application will start a window with various information requests as per the federal forms, once you are done with your data entry the system will generate a specific checklist as per your answers.
The checklist includes
Education
Experience
Passports
Photo
PCCs
And Upfront Medicals proof.
Each of the above categories will have an upload box next to it that says "click to upload documents".
The submit button will not activate until fields are fulfilled with a PDF file.

It is the established rules to submit an application to have Upfront medicals for precisely Express entry, for example in spouse sponsorship it is not required a spouse will undergo a medical exam on a later stage.

So lets say you done your medicals in March your visa validity probably will be up to that date "March" regardless of issuance date.

However
You can buy some time in an attempt to extend your visa validity for example
Accept an invitation just couple of days before it expires
Submit your application just right a week before deadline
And same for biometrics
I assume you will secure about 4-5 months before processing your application
Lets say another 4-5 months processing

You will end up with almost a year idling, you might reach your goal if i were you I won't worry about it. Go for your ITA

Last edited:
Reactions: ALTN

ALTN

Star Member
May 16, 2016
So lets say you done your medicals in March your visa validity probably will be up to that date "March" regardless of issuance date.
I am guessing this means if I take my medical exam in March 2021, my visa will not be valid in April 2022? I can only free up from my engagements here in France in April 2022, so I am trying to avoid trapping myself a year ahead :)

However
You can buy some time in an attempt to extend your visa validity for example
Accept an invitation just couple of days before it expires
Submit your application just right a week before deadline
And same for biometrics
I assume you will secure about 4-5 months before processing your application
Lets say another 4-5 months processing

You will end up with almost a year idling, you might reach your goal if i were you I won't worry about it. Go for your ITA
Would this timeframe workout?
- March 3rd 2021 I receive an ITA
- March 4th 2021 I book a medical exam appointment in April 15th 2021
- April 1st 2021 I accept my ITA
- April 15th 2021 I take my medical exam
- April 16th 2021 I submit my application (with all the checklist)
- I get my CoPR some time later in 2021
- I travel to Canada April 10th 2022

Bacelor

Oct 20, 2017
I am guessing this means if I take my medical exam in March 2021, my visa will not be valid in April 2022? I can only free up from my engagements here in France in April 2022, so I am trying to avoid trapping myself a year ahead :)

Would this timeframe workout?
- March 3rd 2021 I receive an ITA
- March 4th 2021 I book a medical exam appointment in April 15th 2021
- April 1st 2021 I accept my ITA
- April 15th 2021 I take my medical exam
- April 16th 2021 I submit my application (with all the checklist)
- I get my CoPR some time later in 2021
- I travel to Canada April 10th 2022
Yes in theory sounds doable also book for medical even mid of May.
Take care to keep a good eye on your deadlines so not to miss any appointment and allow for emergencies for example in case of a lock down or a new travel restrictions, i mean avoid tight deadlines just to be safe side

Good luck

Reactions: ALTN

ALTN

Star Member
May 16, 2016
Yes in theory sounds doable also book for medical even mid of May.
Take care to keep a good eye on your deadlines so not to miss any appointment and allow for emergencies for example in case of a lock down or a new travel restrictions, i mean avoid tight deadlines just to be safe side

Good luck
Sounds perfect, thank you!