+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Curious about CIC recent request - Inland spousal PR application 2017-2018

katnes14

Oct 11, 2018
You’re welcome. My theory about dealing with IRCC, is that overkill isn’t a negative. Give lots and lots of information to satisfy any request they make. It’s better to send too much, than to make them request more, etc. Good luck!

Thank you, I think you’re definitely right, we have been living together the whole time and have documentation to back it up, but there’s things they want us to provide that we can’t that make it harder.

Our cable account only allows one name on the bill, and it’s mine since he wasn’t a resident here, and our utilities is in our landlords name. My husband isn’t actually on the lease because when we first moved he was technically visitor status and we weren’t sure it was even okay for him to be on the lease and didn’t want him obligated to one should PR be denied.

We have other proof and have submitted as much as we can,hopefully this will suffice.

Thank you again for all your help!

1887CAN

Star Member
Sep 19, 2018
Thank you, I think you’re definitely right, we have been living together the whole time and have documentation to back it up, but there’s things they want us to provide that we can’t that make it harder.

Our cable account only allows one name on the bill, and it’s mine since he wasn’t a resident here, and our utilities is in our landlords name. My husband isn’t actually on the lease because when we first moved he was technically visitor status and we weren’t sure it was even okay for him to be on the lease and didn’t want him obligated to one should PR be denied.

We have other proof and have submitted as much as we can,hopefully this will suffice.

Thank you again for all your help!
My wife and I had similar issues too when gathering the documents for application checklist. Luckily we had a joint bank account, credit cards, so we could satisfy the cohabitation/financial support checklist requirements. But only just.

From what you’ve said above, and the fact that you’re approaching the 12 month mark, you’re likely now approaching the final decision stage and the IRCC officer is looking for more concrete proof you’re cohabiting. This is probably due to the lack of available proof for you to send them with the application, not due to your travels outside of Canada. If the proof you provided initially is below the threshold of what will satisfy the officer, you’ll simply be asked for more, as they have done.

If you’ve sent more, that’s all you can do for now. I’m sure you’ll have a positive decision in no time.

katnes14

Oct 11, 2018
My wife and I had similar issues too when gathering the documents for application checklist. Luckily we had a joint bank account, credit cards, so we could satisfy the cohabitation/financial support checklist requirements. But only just.

From what you’ve said above, and the fact that you’re approaching the 12 month mark, you’re likely now approaching the final decision stage and the IRCC officer is looking for more concrete proof you’re cohabiting. This is probably due to the lack of available proof for you to send them with the application, not due to your travels outside of Canada. If the proof you provided initially is below the threshold of what will satisfy the officer, you’ll simply be asked for more, as they have done.

If you’ve sent more, that’s all you can do for now. I’m sure you’ll have a positive decision in no time.

t’s nice to know that other people have been in the same boat, not that I want anyone else to have to do so.

You would think that immigration would understand that so many people have things paperless or accounts are only available in one name, especially when the person applying doesn’t have any documents to apply for any accounts until later.

Even our bank account while it’s joint, unless you have signed up for paper statements the bank won’t provide anything with both our names. At least for TD bank. You have to print something with his and then with mine. Just makes it harder and more tedious.

We have a ton of proof for the states as we were there together for 3 years prior to moving here. But they want Canadian stuff too. Hopefully it’s enough this time.

1887CAN

Star Member
Sep 19, 2018
t’s nice to know that other people have been in the same boat, not that I want anyone else to have to do so.

You would think that immigration would understand that so many people have things paperless or accounts are only available in one name, especially when the person applying doesn’t have any documents to apply for any accounts until later.

Even our bank account while it’s joint, unless you have signed up for paper statements the bank won’t provide anything with both our names. At least for TD bank. You have to print something with his and then with mine. Just makes it harder and more tedious.

We have a ton of proof for the states as we were there together for 3 years prior to moving here. But they want Canadian stuff too. Hopefully it’s enough this time.
I totally understand, we’re with TD too. All online statements, etc. If you were issued with a chequebook for your account, you could send a copy of a blank cheque as that should contain both names on it.

I think IRCC are stuck between a rock and a hard place on the issue of proof. On one hand, they need proof and paper copies of bank statements and bills, etc work well for this. But technology has moved on, most bills are electronic and don’t issue traditional statements anymore. Some people then move in with their partner and all bills would be single name. I imagine a lot of people don’t think to add the other name to the bills, and those who rent don’t even get utility bills.

IRCC can’t just waive the need for proof, but equally it can be very difficult to provide proof at times, despite being in a genuine relationship and been 100% honest about all circumstances.

katnes14

Oct 11, 2018
I totally understand, we’re with TD too. All online statements, etc. If you were issued with a chequebook for your account, you could send a copy of a blank cheque as that should contain both names on it.

I think IRCC are stuck between a rock and a hard place on the issue of proof. On one hand, they need proof and paper copies of bank statements and bills, etc work well for this. But technology has moved on, most bills are electronic and don’t issue traditional statements anymore. Some people then move in with their partner and all bills would be single name. I imagine a lot of people don’t think to add the other name to the bills, and those who rent don’t even get utility bills.

IRCC can’t just waive the need for proof, but equally it can be very difficult to provide proof at times, despite being in a genuine relationship and been 100% honest about all circumstances.

You’re certainly right, technology has changed so much that no everyone keeps records the same way they used to, there’s less physical proof.

We had been through all this before when I got my greencard in the states, so we knew we’d have to prove our relationship and that we had lived together, and so we sent everything we had, as we had been married for now going on 4 years and have everything we could from the states and being together, it didn’t occur to me that a year later they would want Canadian proof too.

So many business’s don’t even have things with a letter head to write something for your account, or they won’t add a second name to the account even if you think to do so. They ask for things like him being on my benefits or a beneficiary, and not everyone has benefits as work or thinks to get life insurance to do that.

When they asked for proof of cohabitation, we sent in one statement from our bank as well as a letter from Our bank and our landlord wrote a letter saying we have been living here together as my husband isn’t on the lease. I even added him as an authorized user on Rogers just so it would show him on someway on the account.

Now they want more, which we are trying to come up with in every way we can.
I definitely understand why they want the proof, especially if people travel often while filing.

After being married and living together for 4 years I just didn’t expect them to ask for the Canadian side of it I guess.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

Note that cohabitation proofs do not have to have both names. Showing individual statements, mail etc. with the same address is perfectly acceptable.