+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Cuban document requirements

Yoanchanda

Oct 30, 2018
I don’t know if anyone can help but..... I am a Canadian citizen, sponsoring my spouse whom resides in Canary Islands, Spain but holds a Cuban passport.
My question is:

Can we wait to submit his Cuban passport until they ask for it?

The country specific requirements for Cuba state that all original documents must be submitted with application, however, my husband lives in Canary Islands, Spain and would need his passport to travel to Madrid for his biometrics and his medical as well to France for the Interview (if required). He can not travel without his passport. But cuban country specific requirements say submit originals of all documents??? What should we do??:(

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
checklist

Note: Although you do not need to have a valid passport or travel document when you submit your application, you must have a valid travel
document or passport to be able to travel to Canada and to be admitted for permanent residence. A list of acceptable documents is found in
subsection 50(1) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/sor-2002-227/
page-10.html#h-25). You will need to demonstrate that you hold an acceptable travel document or passport before we can finalize your
application.

Cuba – Instruction(s) for documents
  • If you hold a passport from this country, you and your family members included in the application must provide:
    • Your/their “solteria”, if unmarried.
  • If you are providing documents issued in/by Cuba, provide originals of all documents required by the document checklist. The documents will be returned to you after a decision has been made on your application. Reminder: If your documents are not in English or French, provide a notarized (certified) translation with a copy of the originals.

provide original of required documents

Manny Alva

Dec 6, 2018
checklist

Note: Although you do not need to have a valid passport or travel document when you submit your application, you must have a valid travel
document or passport to be able to travel to Canada and to be admitted for permanent residence. A list of acceptable documents is found in
subsection 50(1) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/sor-2002-227/
page-10.html#h-25). You will need to demonstrate that you hold an acceptable travel document or passport before we can finalize your
application.

Cuba – Instruction(s) for documents
  • If you hold a passport from this country, you and your family members included in the application must provide:
    • Your/their “solteria”, if unmarried.
  • If you are providing documents issued in/by Cuba, provide originals of all documents required by the document checklist. The documents will be returned to you after a decision has been made on your application. Reminder: If your documents are not in English or French, provide a notarized (certified) translation with a copy of the originals.

Can you stay without passport till "decision has been made on your application" though this decision can takes 6 to 12 months or more? Is there logic in that?
Solution: Get a new passport and consider the one you send to the CIC as lost.
Is there another solution?

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
application.

your passport is required when visa is issued not when you submit application

MrsGarciaRodriguez

Star Member
May 2, 2018
App. Filed.......
31-07-2018
File Transfer...
04-12-2018
Med's Request
01-29-2019
Med's Done....
02-08-2018
I am married to a Cuban man and about halfway through the sponsor process right now.. (he still lives in Cuba) , and NO you do NOT have to submit his original passport.. most of us submit a color copy of the passport

Reactions: linalightning

linalightning

Mar 28, 2019
Montreal
Category........
FAM
checklist

Cuba – Instruction(s) for document

In the last sentence it says, if the docs aren't Eng or Fr, provide a translation with a COPY of the originals... Am I correct to understand that if the original is Spanish, it doesn't need to be sent? For instance, the original (Spanish) Birth Certificate can stay with my Cuban partner and he can just send the copy and translation?

Thanks in advance.

MrsGarciaRodriguez

Star Member
May 2, 2018
App. Filed.......
31-07-2018
File Transfer...
04-12-2018
Med's Request
01-29-2019
Med's Done....
02-08-2018
The Cuban documents must be originals (birth certificate, police check, marriage certificate )

I know it seems crazy to have to give away an original birth certificate , but es Cuba!