+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Crossing after submitting app?

pretendcat

Jun 1, 2024
My spouse and I got married in April. He is a US citizen, I'm Canadian. We are applying for a family class (outland) spousal sponsorship, as he is currently in Buffalo. Before this he was living with his parents on the west coast, rent free to save some money for a while.

We naively tried to have him cross the border with me and a car full of shit back in March (to attend marriage license app and store a bunch of his stuff at my place), not realizing that the IRCC would view it as him trying to move to Canada illegally (key word: naively). So he was given an ATL, and he tried to cross again with some proof of adequate ties (no lease though) and an invitation letter (that talked about his family ties and friends back home) + proof of financial support from me. Actually received three ATLs in total before a border agent actually properly explained what they wanted to see before he could come across.

He is currently employed but has no lease or rental agreement in Buffalo. He has been bouncing around airbnbs while looking for month-to-month rentals (which are impossible to find it looks like), because applying for a long-term lease doesn't make sense when he's trying to get over to be with me asap. The adequate ties to the US that the border wants to see are proof of employment, and proof of a rental/lease agreement.

He has 1 out of 2. With an AOR for the permanent residence app, will he be able to cross the border? I'm worried that despite everything, they're still not going to let him cross because of the lack of a lease in the US.