+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Criminal rehabilitation?

webber2022

Sep 13, 2022
I don't know what I should do. Can anyone help me?

I have an ETA and a OWP (not activated). I have not been to Canada yet. I plan to fly in a few months. I don't know which way will be better.

I am from Europe. I once had a conviction (15 years ago) that was erased. I'm 90% sure they won't find that information when applying for PR.

However, I am scared. I'd like to go in to arrange a provincial nomination for about 10 days (that won't be a problem) and come back to apply for PR offline (about a 2 year wait) from Europe. Is there a chance to submit two applications at once - Criminal Rehabilitation and PR? After I have been in Canada 10 days. In the ETA question, I did not mention the sentence from 15 years ago which is expunged (in Europe!).

I'm also wondering if there would be an option to send Criminal Rehabilitation while I'm physically in Canada after activating OWP. If that is the case, I guess I will be kicked out right away? If I would send a CR application now, I will certainly not be able to arrange a provincial nomination in the future.

webber2022

Sep 13, 2022
One more thing - I am not sure that they will accept my CR application. Furthermore, even if they would accept it, I am 100% sure that this will have an effect on my possibility to coming to US as a tourist. I would really love to see Grand Canyon etc even once in my life.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

I have an ETA and a OWP (not activated). I have not been to Canada yet. I plan to fly in a few months. I don't know which way will be better.

I am from Europe. I once had a conviction (15 years ago) that was erased. I'm 90% sure they won't find that information when applying for PR.

However, I am scared. I'd like to go in to arrange a provincial nomination for about 10 days (that won't be a problem) and come back to apply for PR offline (about a 2 year wait) from Europe. Is there a chance to submit two applications at once - Criminal Rehabilitation and PR? After I have been in Canada 10 days. In the ETA question, I did not mention the sentence from 15 years ago which is expunged (in Europe!).

I'm also wondering if there would be an option to send Criminal Rehabilitation while I'm physically in Canada after activating OWP. If that is the case, I guess I will be kicked out right away? If I would send a CR application now, I will certainly not be able to arrange a provincial nomination in the future.
Probably best to hire an immigration lawyer to help you at this point.

kanon

Jun 17, 2016
It is possible to submit CR application while in Canada. Per IRCC website, mail the CR application to the Canada Immigration Centre responsible for your area.

In my case, I submitted a CR application in Canada while I had a valid TRP and OWP.

webber2022

Sep 13, 2022
It is possible to submit CR application while in Canada. Per IRCC website, mail the CR application to the Canada Immigration Centre responsible for your area.

In my case, I submitted a CR application in Canada while I had a valid TRP and OWP.
Have you already obtain rehabilitation? I think that crossing border without rehab is good reason for deportation or something like that... I am worried about this :/

webber2022

Sep 13, 2022

And one more question - in what moment did you apply for rehab? Before submitting PR application, or during process? After procedural fairness or..? I would be really grateful for more info, even in private message :)

jugoj

Jun 18, 2024
And one more question - in what moment did you apply for rehab? Before submitting PR application, or during process? After procedural fairness or..? I would be really grateful for more info, even in private message :)
Hi Webber, do you have any updates?

Neato2024

Sep 22, 2024

I have an expunged case as well and I was approved for my PR this month. I spoke with an attorney three times through out my

I had a criminal offense that was expunged as well (7 years ago). I submitted my application for PR (Spouse/Family Sponsorship) back in December 2023. I just got an email this month saying they’re in the “finalization stages" which means I am now on my way to receive my PR status. I’ll share what I did, what I submitted and how I gathered those documents. Just so you know, I did consult with an immigration attorney before starting the application process and before sending in my application. I told her my situation, sent her my documents, and she gave me feedback on what I should do. I highly recommend consulting with an immigration attorney to ensure you're on the right path. First, you should order your police certificate. Wait for your police certificate to arrive and review its contents before sharing any information with immigration. They’re only concerned with what’s on that police certificate. I made the mistake of disclosing something that wasn’t included, and my attorney advised against it. If your charge appears on the police certificate, you’ll need to gather certified copies of relevant documents. I am from the States, so I called the county courthouse where the charge occurred and spoke with the Criminal Court Department, explaining what I needed. They were quite helpful. If your case was expunged, request the Court Clerk to find your documents in their file warehouse, as they may not show up in their database. Courts typically keep expunged cases for 20 years in a warehouse. You'll also need to include a brief letter of explanation—mine was just one page—detailing what the charge is equivalent to in Canada. If it's a non-serious crime or misdemeanor, be sure to mention that in your letter.

Don’t let your charge hold you back from applying. I'm sure they consider various factors, like whether it was a violent offense, how much time has passed, and your overall history. Just make sure to provide all your court documents, even if it has been expunged; failing to do so could delay your application or lead to a denial. For example in my case, I only provided one document when I submitted my application in December 2023, and that was the certified Order of Expungement. Immigration contacted me in July 2024 requesting further documents. Here's a part of the letter I received requesting all my court documents:
"According to the police clearance certificate and the Schedule A (IMM####) that you have
provided, it appears you may have a criminal record against you in The United States. Please provide
certified copies of all court documents relating to any offence(s). These documents must indicate the
events that led to the charge(s), the statute(s) under which you were charged and the outcome/final
disposition of each charge, as well as the completion of any penalty or sentence imposed. Please
submit your own written explanation of the events along with the above requested certified copies of the
court documents."

Hope this helped and good luck!
Also note: I never applied for criminal rehabilitation or anything like that. I only submitted the PR application and the certified documents they requested.