+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Criminal record

marc75900

Sep 10, 2023
Hi,
Ive got a caution for a battery in uk in 2018 ,
I will arrive to Canada in november with means 2 months before my caution will spent. The police certificate take a while to arrive and i dont think i will have it on time .
What should i say at the agent of immigration ?

Ive got a job offer (signed by me and the employer) and also a place to live .

Do you think i will be inadmissible for a visa and a working-permit ?

Thanks for your answer.

Reactions: Hinalhp

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,
Ive got a caution for a battery in uk in 2018 ,
I will arrive to Canada in november with means 2 months before my caution will spent. The police certificate take a while to arrive and i dont think i will have it on time .
What should i say at the agent of immigration ?

Ive got a job offer (signed by me and the employer) and also a place to live .

Do you think i will be inadmissible for a visa and a working-permit ?

Thanks for your answer.
You have to be honest. Misrepresentation can have even more serious consequences than a criminal record. It would make a lot more sense to apply for the WP from Canada in your situation. Much better idea to find out whether you will be able to secure a WP and likely be able to enter Canada before coming to Canada. Moving to another country is expensive and you usually have to give up your current home and job.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
This is what im planning to do with a police certificate and a explanation letter.
You really need to apply for the eTA asap. Don't delay another day.

If your eTA application is determine to be non-standard and requires officer review, it could take up to 4+ months to process.

marc75900

Sep 10, 2023
You have to be honest. Misrepresentation can have even more serious consequences than a criminal record. It would make a lot more sense to apply for the WP from Canada in your situation. Much better idea to find out whether you will be able to secure a WP and likely be able to enter Canada before coming to Canada. Moving to another country is expensive and you usually have to give up your current home and job.
Thank you for your advice. Im waiting for an positive answer from my eTA application.
We decided with my lawyer to take the risk to travel to Canada and be honest with the agent of the borders.

I would like to precise that i got a "simple caution" for an argument with a noisy neighbord and i would like to write a explanation letter .

Also under the (uk rehabilitation of offenders act 1974) a simple caution is spent immidiatly .
I hope i will be able to get a WP.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for your advice. Im waiting for an positive answer from my eTA application.
We decided with my lawyer to take the risk to travel to Canada and be honest with the agent of the borders.

I would like to precise that i got a "simple caution" for an argument with a noisy neighbord and i would like to write a explanation letter .

Also under the (uk rehabilitation of offenders act 1974) a simple caution is spent immidiatly .
I hope i will be able to get a WP.
What is relevant is how this equates to Canadian criminal code (not to the UK rules). I can't comment on that but that is what your lawyer should determine (if not already determined) and include in any letter.

marc75900

Sep 10, 2023
My lawyer told me that my "simple caution " shouldn't be a issue because its spent immediatly in the uk.
And apparently a simple caution is not translate into Canada law.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
My lawyer told me that my "simple caution " shouldn't be a issue because its spent immediatly in the uk.
And apparently a simple caution is not translate into Canada law.
OK - sounds like you've done your homework then.

In my opinion the one remaining wildcard is how long the eTA will take and whether that will be approved by the time you want to fly. Don't book your flight until you have an approved eTA in case it takes longer.

marc75900

Sep 10, 2023
OK - sounds like you've done your homework then.

In my opinion the one remaining wildcard is how long the eTA will take and whether that will be approved by the time you want to fly. Don't book your flight until you have an approved eTA in case it takes longer.
Yes , im waiting the green light of my lawyer to book the flight .

My only worry is about the police certificate will show my caution and i dont know what to expect from the agent of the immigration.
I hope that to be honest on my application will help me .

Thank you very much for your time and your help scylla.

Hinalhp

May 22, 2018
Yes , im waiting the green light of my lawyer to book the flight .

My only worry is about the police certificate will show my caution and i dont know what to expect from the agent of the immigration.
I hope that to be honest on my application will help me .

Thank you very much for your time and your help scylla.