App. Filed.......
June 17, 2015
AOR Received.
July 20, 2015
File Transfer...
August 17, 2015
Med's Done....
Upfront
Hey, so I filed my Outland Spousal Sponsorship application on June 17, 2015. Got AOR on July 20th and am still awaiting SA and file transfer.

I've lived in Canada since I turned 18 and I've always had legal status and will continue to be on a post-grad work permit till late 2017. Because of this, I did not need to submit a Police Certificate or any background checks with my application. I also have an IELTS 9.0 score and about 20 pages worth of relationship proof affixed to my application.

My question is, do you guys think my file has a chance of being retained in Missisauga and be one of those applications that get processed ahead of schedule? Or is it going to be CPC Ottawa regardless?

Any helpful responses would be appreciated. Peace

rugrat907

Feb 3, 2015
California
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2015
AOR Received.
25-04-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
21-11-2014, remeds on 04-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
COPR issued 21-12-2015
electrolychee said:
Hey, so I filed my Outland Spousal Sponsorship application on June 17, 2015. Got AOR on July 20th and am still awaiting SA and file transfer.

I've lived in Canada since I turned 18 and I've always had legal status and will continue to be on a post-grad work permit till late 2017. Because of this, I did not need to submit a Police Certificate or any background checks with my application. I also have an IELTS 9.0 score and about 20 pages worth of relationship proof affixed to my application.

My question is, do you guys think my file has a chance of being retained in Missisauga and be one of those applications that get processed ahead of schedule? Or is it going to be CPC Ottawa regardless?

Any helpful responses would be appreciated. Peace
Why an application stays in Mississauga is anyone's guess. There are some countries that are in the middle of conflicts, like Syria, that have had applicants stay in Mississauga, and very rarely when an overseas visa offices gets way backed up they seem to process a handful through the final stages there as well, but those are few and far between. I would count of it going to Ottawa and be surprised if it stays in Mississauga.

electrolychee

Jun 17, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 17, 2015
AOR Received.
July 20, 2015
File Transfer...
August 17, 2015
Med's Done....
Upfront
It was my understanding that the crazy long processing times at these VOs are because of extensive background and criminal checks. The process has been known to be expedited for countries like the US where there is an open exchange of info. This lead me to assume that a majority if not all of the VO processing times are due to security checks and information verification.

So by this logic, my case does not require such checks and all my old addresses are Canadian. Do you think this could expedite the 16 month process at all or? (assuming the file goes to CPC Ottawa)

Gemmie

Nov 10, 2014
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-05-2015
AOR Received.
30-06-2015/SA 17-08-2015
File Transfer...
20-08-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
23-02-2015
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
21-01-2016
Are you from the USA?

The 16 month time frame shown on the website from my understanding is not
really indicative to the actual time they take on most cases. From what I've
seen, and read on the forum and looking at the spread sheets, is that many are processed
in much less time then 16 months.

Whether it stays in Mississauga , or goes to Ottawa I do not know, but most seem to say its
going to Ottawa for USA outland applications.

electrolychee

Jun 17, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 17, 2015
AOR Received.
July 20, 2015
File Transfer...
August 17, 2015
Med's Done....
Upfront
Tho I've lived in the US for 8 years of my life (before turning 18), my passport is Indian.

Since I have valid status in Canada till the end of 2017, my file should be forwarded to CPC Ottawa(unless they somehow decide to retain it). The reason I couldn't find any responses that apply to me while going through these forums is that I'm 22 and I've lived only in Canada since I turned 18. All the applicants I saw on these forums needed some sort of police or background checks because of the time they spent in countries other than Canada. They had foreign addresses and information that needed to be verified by offices in miscellaneous foreign countries. Considering none of those apply to my situation, do you think I have a shot at an expedited process here?

Ontariobat

Star Member
Jul 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-01-2014
Passport Req..
[In Process: 03-07-2015 ; Decision Made: 14-07-2015 ; CoPR received 20-07-2015]
LANDED..........
28-07-2015! :) Lewiston, NY
electrolychee said:
Tho I've lived in the US for 8 years of my life (before turning 18), my passport is Indian.

Since I have valid status in Canada till the end of 2017, my file should be forwarded to CPC Ottawa(unless they somehow decide to retain it). The reason I couldn't find any responses that apply to me while going through these forums is that I'm 22 and I've lived only in Canada since I turned 18. All the applicants I saw on these forums needed some sort of police or background checks because of the time they spent in countries other than Canada. They had foreign addresses and information that needed to be verified by offices in miscellaneous foreign countries. Considering none of those apply to my situation, do you think I have a shot at an expedited process here?
I doubt your case will be special. The thing is, the other clearances are things like an FBI police report. There's nothing for the CPC to have to do other than check off that it was received and that it's real. The processing of those background checks was already done prior to sending it in for processing. Your Canadian background will still be checked like the rest of us. Cross your fingers but don't hold your breath.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
electrolychee said:
Since I have valid status in Canada till the end of 2017, my file should be forwarded to CPC Ottawa(unless they somehow decide to retain it).
Valid status in Canada in no way means that your app should go to Ottawa. CIC chooses to process an app based on either nationality or residence. It is very possible that your app will go to New Delhi.

electrolychee

Jun 17, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 17, 2015
AOR Received.
July 20, 2015
File Transfer...
August 17, 2015
Med's Done....
Upfront
I actually called CIC when i submitted my application and the agent confirmed that DUE TO MY STATUS in Canada being valid for 1+ year, my file will most likely be processed internally (CPC Ottawa). So iunno.

It would make no sense for them to send it out to New Delhi since they have no information about me as an adult. I've never held any Indian IDs except for a passport or applied for anything else that would show any records. Does that make sense?

And in case you missed it, I do reside in Canada and I've been here since before I turned 18. That does make it my country of residence does it not?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
electrolychee said:
I actually called CIC when i submitted my application and the agent confirmed that DUE TO MY STATUS in Canada being valid for 1+ year, my file will most likely be processed internally (CPC Ottawa). So iunno.

It would make no sense for them to send it out to New Delhi since they have no information about me as an adult. I've never held any Indian IDs except for a passport or applied for anything else that would show any records. Does that make sense?

And in case you missed it, I do reside in Canada and I've been here since before I turned 18. That does make it my country of residence does it not?
I suggest you read up on here about the CIC call centre. They are not trained and give out a ridiculous amount of wrong answers. Call a few times with the same question and you will get different answers.

Sending the app to New Delhi may not make sense to you but it isn't up to you.

And in case you missed it, CIC chooses based on EITHER nationality or residency. There is absolutely no guarantee that they will choose based on your residency. There are many people living in Canada who apply outland and most of them still have their apps sent to their country of nationality VO, not Ottawa.

electrolychee

Jun 17, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 17, 2015
AOR Received.
July 20, 2015
File Transfer...
August 17, 2015
Med's Done....
Upfront
canuck_in_uk said:
Sending the app to New Delhi may not make sense to you but it isn't up to you.

And in case you missed it, CIC chooses based on EITHER nationality or residency. There is absolutely no guarantee that they will choose based on your residency. There are many people living in Canada who apply outland and most of them still have their apps sent to their country of nationality VO, not Ottawa.
I was never under the impression that I had a choice, I was simply stating what I think is the most reasonable course of action based on the information i have at hand. I wanted to know if y'all agreed with me or not. That's all. If you wanna use that as an excuse to be unnecessarily condescending, go right ahead.

And no, I definitely did not miss it. That's what had me confused about your comment. There's just as likely a chance of my country of residence being the criteria they use to select my VO. I really don't think me and these people you speak of have the same case. Since there are no records of me after my birthdate in India and they exist in Canada only, CIC's not doing themselves any favors by sending it out to NDVO.

I'm obvs hoping it'll be Ottawa, lets see if it works out that way. I'll probably know by Monday-ish

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
electrolychee said:
I was never under the impression that I had a choice, I was simply stating what I think is the most reasonable course of action based on the information i have at hand. I wanted to know if y'all agreed with me or not. That's all. If you wanna use that as an excuse to be unnecessarily condescending, go right ahead.

And no, I definitely did not miss it. That's what had me confused about your comment. There's just as likely a chance of my country of residence being the criteria they use to select my VO. I really don't think me and these people you speak of have the same case. Since there are no records of me after my birthdate in India and they exist in Canada only, CIC's not doing themselves any favors by sending it out to NDVO.

I'm obvs hoping it'll be Ottawa, lets see if it works out that way. I'll probably know by Monday-ish
I was not being condescending, no need for insults. You were under the impression that Ottawa and Mississauga were the only options, when there is also the possibility of your app being sent to New Delhi based on your nationality. I was simply trying to help by informing you of that possibility so that if it does happen, you understand why.

Also, there are a lot of other people who have living been in Canada for years, many since they were minors, who are being sponsored. Yours is not a unique situation.

electrolychee

Jun 17, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 17, 2015
AOR Received.
July 20, 2015
File Transfer...
August 17, 2015
Med's Done....
Upfront
canuck_in_uk said:
I was not being condescending, no need for insults. You were under the impression that Ottawa and Mississauga were the only options, when there is also the possibility of your app being sent to New Delhi based on your nationality. I was simply trying to help by informing you of that possibility so that if it does happen, you understand why.

Also, there are a lot of other people who have living been in Canada for years, many since they were minors, who are being sponsored. Yours is not a unique situation.
"Sending the app to New Delhi may not make sense to you but it isn't up to you."

It might not be what you said but how you said it. It sounds pretty condescending the way it's composed, but I get that you're only trying to help. That's why all I did was point that out and nothing else. To insult you was not my intention.

I was really hoping my situation wasn't unique. If any of these people are on the forum still, I'd appreciate y'alls insights.

EstherBarros

Aug 18, 2014
BC- Canada
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
17-11-2014
Doc's Request.
02-07-2015
AOR Received.
03-02-2015
File Transfer...
14-02-2015
Med's Done....
23-09-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
07-08-2015
VISA ISSUED...
19-08-2015
LANDED..........
22-08-2015
electrolychee said:
"Sending the app to New Delhi may not make sense to you but it isn't up to you."

It might not be what you said but how you said it. It sounds pretty condescending the way it's composed, but I get that you're only trying to help. That's why all I did was point that out and nothing else. To insult you was not my intention.

I was really hoping my situation wasn't unique. If any of these people are on the forum still, I'd appreciate y'alls insights.
I have been living in Canada for almost 4 years now, finished a college diploma and am on a 3 year work permit until the end of 2017. My PR application was sent to Ottawa and I received my passport request yesterday, the whole process took about 8 months. They asked for an RCMP criminal check anyway. I don't see how going to Ottawa or staying in Mississauga would be related to the fact that you have been in Canada for a while (or since before after you were 18). It looks to me that an application is most likely to stay in Mississauga if the sponsored person is from a Visa exempt country (US, EU, Australia etc). Given that you are Indian, I do not think that would be the case for you.

Just FYI, your country or residence IS Canada because you have lived here for over 1 year with a legal status. They may send the application to Ottawa due to that fact or send it to New Delhi, it is up to their discretion. There is really no way of knowing.

Good luck!

rs33

Star Member
Jul 31, 2015
I've lived in Canada for 5 years now, 12 years before that in the US, and I'm in my mid-20's. And they sent my application to the Paris VO because of my citizenship (visa exempt) even though I haven't lived there since I was, well, a kid.

I thought there was a chance they were going to send it to Ottawa because I've been in North America so long. My app includes a report from the FBI but nothing from my home country.

And I should add, I have valid status in Canada (student) too, so similar to your situation.

electrolychee

Jun 17, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 17, 2015
AOR Received.
July 20, 2015
File Transfer...
August 17, 2015
Med's Done....
Upfront
First off, congrats on making it through in 8 months. That's really the timeline I'm hoping for, since I started school I'm bout 100K out of pocket and still not done my bachelors. I really wanna move on with my life ya know.

EstherBarros said:
I don't see how going to Ottawa or staying in Mississauga would be related to the fact that you have been in Canada for a while (or since before after you were 18). It looks to me that an application is most likely to stay in Mississauga if the sponsored person is from a Visa exempt country (US, EU, Australia etc). Given that you are Indian, I do not think that would be the case for you.
Correct me if I'm wrong but most people here seem to think applications from 'visa-exempt' countries like the US don't make it through to Mississauga very often. It seems to be more for countries in turmoil.

Case in point - rs33's comment above this one.

And FYI, from what I saw on the CIC website yesterday, the visa exemptions gonna apply only to the US come March 2016. Everyone else's gonna need e-visas or stamps or sth.