+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CPA Ontario- Internationally Trained Accountant

aries2tiaras88

Jan 26, 2023
Hello,

Is there anyone who has recently applied to CPA Ontario as an internationally trained accountant through a MRA? US CPA license holder and wanted to apply but wanted to know how exhaustive is the process.

bunsenburner

Mar 6, 2024
Hello,

Is there anyone who has recently applied to CPA Ontario as an internationally trained accountant through a MRA? US CPA license holder and wanted to apply but wanted to know how exhaustive is the process.
Hi aries2tiaras88,

Is there an update on your application to CPAOntario?

I recently went through the process of applying for membership to CPA Ontario through the MRA between CPA Canada and US State Boards of Accountancy.

The process is not unreasonably lengthy - it is actually pretty straightforward. Just follow the steps as outlined in CPA Ontario's website - https://www.cpaontario.ca/become-a-cpa/internationally-trained-accountant/recognized-us-state-board-accountancy

This is the order (and a rough timeline) that I got it done:
Nov 1, 2023 - Wrote to my State Board of Accountancy in the US, to provide a "Letter of Good Standing" and "Transcript of the scores in the Uniform CPA Examination". The transcript must contain the dates that you passed each individual section of the Uniform CPA Exam. (Do remember that there are additional requirements for membership application if you clear even one of the sections AFTER you have landed in Canada).
Nov 2, 2023 - State Board of Accountancy provided the Letter of Good Standing and Transcript to CPA Ontario directly, by e-mail.
Nov 3, 2023 - Contacted Two (2) CPA Ontario members for Referee Recommendation letters. Received the recommendation letters.
Nov 4, 2023 - Filled in Practical Experience Certification for 4 previous employers (this step takes the longest time, since it is important that your experience is relevant to CPA Ontario's core, breadth, and depth experience requirements). (Also, experience must be current. Any practical experience that ended more than 8 years before the date of application is not relevant.)
Nov 10, 2023 - Sent the Practical Experience Certification forms to the 4 previous employers for signature.
December 5, 2023 - Received Practical Experience Certification forms from 3 out of the 4 previous employers.
December 15, 2023 - Prepared the remaining documents for application, including detailed resume and memo of residency (refer to the document checklist in the link above). Also prepared a memo explaining why I could not obtain practical experience certification from 1 of the previous employers.
December 30, 2023 - Filled in online application, paid the registration fees (this included membership fees from Oct 2023 to Mar 2024, paid in advance). Totally around $1100 Canadian.
January 28, 2024 - Received e-mail from CPA Ontario stating that my Transcript is still pending. Contacted my State Board of Accountancy in the US and requested that the transcript be sent again. Confirmed to CPA Ontario that the transcript has been re-sent.
February 1, 2024 - CPA Ontario confirmed that my transcript has been received and added to my file.
February 18, 2024 - Received e-mail from CPA Ontario that my membership has been approved, and that my name appears in the Online Member Directory.

Overall, not a very tedious process. The part that took most time, like I mentioned, was actually filling out the Practical Experience Certification forms showing how I meet the technical competencies required (there are specific minimum core, depth, and breadth requirements, which are detailed by CPA Ontario), and contacting my previous employers.

aries2tiaras88

Jan 26, 2023
Thank you for your detailed response. I haven’t submitted my application yet as the practical experience details worried me. How did you ensure your practical experience was relevant to CPA Ontario’s breadth and depth?

bunsenburner

Mar 6, 2024
Thank you for your detailed response. I haven’t submitted my application yet as the practical experience details worried me. How did you ensure your practical experience was relevant to CPA Ontario’s breadth and depth?
I used the sample answers in the practical experience form to guide my answers. I also referred to CPA Ontario's publication "CPA Practical Experience Requirements". Also useful to me was CPA British Columbia's "Guiding Questions and Practical Experience Rubric". A google search for these publications would take you to the relevant webpages to download these PDFs.

I, too, was a bit worried about whether my practical experience would satisfy CPA Ontario's Core, Depth, and Breadth requirements. In an Excel worksheet, I listed my estimated levels (0, 1, or 2) for each question, for every job that I have had. Then, I used the sample answers in those PDFs to pen down how my score (1, or 2) is justified. (A score of 0 does not need justification.)

Looking back, I think my anxiety was unnecessary, and I overthought the process too much. I remember reading somewhere that the applicant needs 2 years of experience AFTER passing the exams of AICPA.

In fact, I applied (through the MRA) much later than a few of my colleagues who had passed their CPA Canada CFE (Common Final Examination), but got my membership sooner. From my conversations with them, I surmise that CPA Ontario scrutinizes the practical experience of CPA Canada students in much more detail.

This is why I think the practical experience evaluation is more like a formality, since the qualification is being sought through an MRA.

So, go ahead and apply without overthinking it. Chances are, you will get the membership. The worst that can happen is that CPA Ontario asks you to re-word your practical experience forms and re-submit them.

All the best with your application.

aries2tiaras88

Jan 26, 2023
Thank you for your detailed responses. This information is helpful and I appreciate it.
I used the sample answers in the practical experience form to guide my answers. I also referred to CPA Ontario's publication "CPA Practical Experience Requirements". Also useful to me was CPA British Columbia's "Guiding Questions and Practical Experience Rubric". A google search for these publications would take you to the relevant webpages to download these PDFs.

I, too, was a bit worried about whether my practical experience would satisfy CPA Ontario's Core, Depth, and Breadth requirements. In an Excel worksheet, I listed my estimated levels (0, 1, or 2) for each question, for every job that I have had. Then, I used the sample answers in those PDFs to pen down how my score (1, or 2) is justified. (A score of 0 does not need justification.)

Looking back, I think my anxiety was unnecessary, and I overthought the process too much. I remember reading somewhere that the applicant needs 2 years of experience AFTER passing the exams of AICPA.

In fact, I applied (through the MRA) much later than a few of my colleagues who had passed their CPA Canada CFE (Common Final Examination), but got my membership sooner. From my conversations with them, I surmise that CPA Ontario scrutinizes the practical experience of CPA Canada students in much more detail.

This is why I think the practical experience evaluation is more like a formality, since the qualification is being sought through an MRA.

So, go ahead and apply without overthinking it. Chances are, you will get the membership. The worst that can happen is that CPA Ontario asks you to re-word your practical experience forms and re-submit them.

All the best with your application.
a