+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COVID-19 & FSW as a current US F-1 Student

Jan 30, 2021
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Hello everyone! I've been reading some posts here, but I'm technically new. I'm currently a PhD student at a US institution under an F-1 VISA (valid until 2023), and I'll be graduating this summer. I've been thinking of applying for Express Entry, but the current delays + different procedures due to COVID-19 are making me hesitant to apply without a surefire plan. I'll summarize my stats and then ask my questions.
  • Single.
  • Highest level of education: Masters (U.S.). All degrees (Bachelors (U.S. also) + Masters) already evaluated by WES.
  • Languages (scores as of September 2020):
    • English: took the IELTS. Scores:
      • Listening: 9.0.
      • Reading: 7.5.
      • Writing: 8.0.
      • Speaking: 8.0.
        Overall: 8.0.
    • French: took the TEF Canada. Scores: [SKILL EXAMINED (TRANSLATION): SCORE ~ OLD SCORE EQUIVALENT ~ LEVEL]
      • Compréhension écrite (Reading): 557 ~ 259/300 ~ C1.
      • Compréhension orale (Listening): 663 ~ 350/360 ~ C2.
      • Expression écrite (Writing): 550 ~ 382/450 ~ C1.
      • Expression orale (Speaking): 699 ~ 450/450 ~ C2
  • Employment: I've been continuously employed as a TA and RA from August 2015 to June 2020, so that gives me 3+ years of continuous employment under NOC 4012.
  • No job offer.
  • No PNP certification.
  • No family in Canada.
  • CRS Tool score: 552. It changes depending on which test scores I choose to input first.
  • I have more than enough money; I'll be applying as an individual.
I will also soon be employed for at least 1 year under OPT in the U.S. So moving soon would not be an option, but if I'm eligible for Canadia PR, I'd honestly get it sooner than later for a number of reasons. My questions are the following, from most important to least important:
  1. Given that I have all the documents ready (letters of employment, pay stubs, copies of scores sent, WES evaluations sent, etc), how soon can I expect (a) the ITA, and (b) the CoPR?
  2. Whenever I enter Canada to do the PR formalities, I plan on doing so by car. The closest place for me to do so is the Peace Bridge (Buffalo, NY). I've read stories of people doing their PR formalities, not settling yet (due to being currently employed in the U.S. for e.g.) and doing a U-turn back without an issue, even though COVID-19 is going on. Q: Can I realistically expect this?
  3. Part of these PR formalities at the POE, to my knowledge, is declaring a list of goods I'm bringing, and those to follow. I know that if you're only "activating" your PR and not settling yet, normally, you should not have to bring those. But I heard that CBSA can be rigid about that sometimes. Q: Is that true? What can I do to avoid this issue?
  4. For the list of goods to follow, how does that work exactly? Like, what if I declare my car as a good to follow and end up selling it and have another car instead? Do I now have to pay tax on it? What about subsequent visits? Are you just systematically taxed on your belongings unless they're part of said "goods to follow"? This is highly unclear to me.
  5. My last question has to do with tax: if I validate/"activate" (not sure what term is appropriate) my PR but I haven't settled yet, is there is a neat way of taking care of my Canadian tax? A quick Google search pointed to TurboTax, but I've also seen people recommending a cross-border CPA. Q: Can anybody having any experience with this (U.S.-employed while Canadian PR) share their advice?
I'm sorry if this looks like a lot! I tried to limit my questions the best I could. Thanks in advance for your time!

Jan 30, 2021
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
TL;DR:
⦿ F-1 PhD student in the US, will graduate this Spring and soon be employed under OPT for at least one year.
⦿ CSR score ~542.
⦿ Wondering about processing times for ITA, CoPR, and establishing PR status for immigration purposes only (so "landing" but settling later).
⦿ Planning to do PR formalities by car; worried about GTF if not settling yet, taxation on personal belongings/goods during future visits to Canada.
⦿ Also, how to handle Canadian tax while in the US? TurboTax? Cross-border CPA?
⦿ Bonus question: Peace Bridge vs Rainbow Bridge; which is best during this COVID-19 era?