+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Counting Co-Op As Work Experience

Matdi

Aug 14, 2020
Hello everyone,

My question is about this page on cic:
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=394&top=29

I'm planning to apply for a PR through Federal Skilled Worker Express Entry program. I have a total of 8 months co-op work experience inside Canada during my Master's program and now that I am graduated I have been working for a total of 6 months in a full-time position. My question is that can I add my co-op work experience to my full time work experience and count them as 1 year of work experience for the FSW program?

Thanks in advance for your replies

Last edited:

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
As stated on that page, if your co-op term and current job were continuous, full-time, and in the same NOC, you can count it toward the minimum eligibility requirement for the FSW program of one year of continuous, full-time skilled employment.

If the co-op term and your current job were not continuous, or are in different NOCs, you cannot count the co-op term.

Either way, you also cannot count it toward your CRS score as Canadian work experience. In other words, you will probably have to wait another six months until you have one year of Canadian work experience after graduation.

Matdi

Aug 14, 2020
As stated on that page, if your co-op term and current job were continuous, full-time, and in the same NOC, you can count it toward the minimum eligibility requirement for the FSW program of one year of continuous, full-time skilled employment.

If the co-op term and your current job were not continuous, or are in different NOCs, you cannot count the co-op term.

Either way, you also cannot count it toward your CRS score as Canadian work experience. In other words, you will probably have to wait another six months until you have one year of Canadian work experience after graduation.
Thank you @Primeprime for your reply.
What does the term "continuous" mean in this context? Does it mean that there should not be any gaps between the co-op and post graduation employments? Or just between the co-op work terms?
In my case, my 8 months co-op employment was "continuous", paid and full-time. But after finishing my co-op, I had to return to university for two semesters to work on my thesis, and after graduation I secured a full-time employment.

Last edited:

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
Continuous means no gaps for at least one year. As you only had eight months of experience and then a break of two semesters before you began working again, you cannot count your co-op term.