+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Couldn't extend medical certificate?

angelrooni

Apr 6, 2015
Hi,

We got an email requesting that we redo the medical because they tried and were unable to extend the certificate. Does anyone know why they might not be able to extend the medical? Or what this could mean for us? Our app was received August 26, 2013. We have an appointment with the panel physician for May 25th. We received the email requesting that we redo the medical on May 11. Thank you in advance!!

Angel

Sheps

Apr 29, 2014
Winnipeg, MB
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-M/CPC-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-02-2015
Doc's Request.
UPFRONT
Nomination.....
(Wife)
AOR Received.
08-04-2014
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
06-01-2015
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
WAIVED
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2015
LANDED..........
18-07-2015
They most likely could not extend the medical as it expired during processing and has been expired for too long (looks to be at least 8 months).

angelrooni

Apr 6, 2015
Hi Sheps,

Thank you for replying. You might be right. I just found this comment in a paragraph describing CIC's ability to extend medical certificates on a foreign worker website:

<<Further fine print specifies that the applicant must have had a routine immigration medical examination performed by a panel physician within the last 15 months, either in or outside of Canada.>>

If that is the case, my husband's medical was completed longer than 15 months ago ... but I'm confused because on CIC's website they stated that you can be eligible for a med. certificate extension if:

<<Medical assessment is older than 15 months, and the applicant has been residing in Canada continuously for at least the past 2 years (for applicants residing in Canada only).>>

My husband has been in Canada for 30 months. My thinking is that since the IO requested the extension, she must have thought that she could possibly get one ... so I worry that something might be wrong.

Angel

Sheps

Apr 29, 2014
Winnipeg, MB
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-M/CPC-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-02-2015
Doc's Request.
UPFRONT
Nomination.....
(Wife)
AOR Received.
08-04-2014
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
06-01-2015
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
WAIVED
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2015
LANDED..........
18-07-2015
I wouldn't worry about it too much. Spouses are exempt from medical demand so the only thing that could cause an issue is a communicable disease which is a public health risk.

Medical Reassessment is different then asking you go to a panel physician. A medical reassessment is basically asking for an extension from the medical officer. Just for kicks, you can order your GCMS notes and see if they tried to extend the medical, but I wouldn't wait for that and just get the medical done instead. ATIP requests take 30 days (file is pulled immediately but they wait for the duration).

They don't have to extend the medial, even if he is in Canada.

Go here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/medic/assess/cert.asp
Look at the flow chart, it gives you some ideas where there might have been a hiccup in extending the medical.