+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR landing

willashdown

Sep 16, 2024
Hi All,

I received my COPR last week, I applied under spousal family sponsorship, this was a lot sooner than I had initially anticipated as processing times seem to sit around 10 months, I only submitted 4 months ago. Although I am very grateful for the speed at which my application was processed it has left me in a tricky situation.

I had booked with my fiancé to travel to Canada in three weeks to look around wedding venues and meet some companies with a view to employment. However the sale of my house (primary residence in the UK) is still in progress and will not be completed in time. I am unsure as to the tax implications of not being able to declare those funds when I complete a soft landing in October, and then transferring over those funds into my new Canadian account once I land permanently in the new year .

I have two questions:

1: Are there any Canadian tax implications from transferring large funds from oversees which are not declared on activation of COPR?
2: Do you have to activate COPR on arrival, or can you use ETA instead.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I am unsure as to the tax implications of not being able to declare those funds when I complete a soft landing in October, and then transferring over those funds into my new Canadian account once I land permanently in the new year .

I have two questions:

1: Are there any Canadian tax implications from transferring large funds from oversees which are not declared on activation of COPR?
2: Do you have to activate COPR on arrival, or can you use ETA instead.
This is called a 'soft landing' in that you're just completing the landing procedures, that is, to become a permanent resident. As strange as it sounds, this does not make you a tax resident nor is it that point at which you 'settle' as a resident.

You land, get your COPR, and provide an address for your PR card to be mailed to (in Canada). Do apply for a social insurance number while in Canada. You do not, at this point, have to declare your goods to follow or other things, since you're not (yet) bringing anything permanent.

You can go and open a bank account. I'd ask at the bank about trnasferring funds in large amounts later.

1) I don't think there are any tax implications. You can ask at the bank about bringing money from abroad (your sale of house) between time of opening account and 'settling.'

2) while you can do this, I don't see any significant advantage to doing so. And some advantages to becoming a PR - you'll be able to say with 100% confidence to employers that you are a PR and have a SIN. (BTW in the event you decide to get formally married before you move to Canada - it is far better that you do it AFTER you get the PR status. Your plans may be otherwise right now, but hey, maybe you will decide to get a courthouse wedding in advance)

Whatever you do right now, do NOT get married before you land. You'd have to add your spouse and then background checks of them, etc.

willashdown

Sep 16, 2024
Thanks for this, not to worry, we are not getting married until a few month after we settle permanently. I've read several different versions of the COPR landing procedure, some say that you do not have to declare funds, others say that you have to.

Also, should I tell the immigration officer that this is a soft landing? Does that change any of the protocol at the airport?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks for this, not to worry, we are not getting married until a few month after we settle permanently. I've read several different versions of the COPR landing procedure, some say that you do not have to declare funds, others say that you have to.
Is your partner also immigrating with you (as common law)?

You have to declare funds that you are carrying with you (on your person or in baggage accompanying) - I assume that is what is meant.

Also, should I tell the immigration officer that this is a soft landing? Does that change any of the protocol at the airport?
I would not get into that, no need. Just give them the address. If it comes up, Iean towards describing the situation as you are here to settle, you'll just return home to wrap up a few things for a month or two (instead of describing the time in Canada as a short trip or as a visit). That's more or less accurate from the sounds of it.

Mostly they won't care; some don't like having PR cards sent to address where you won't be residing and may tell you to apply later (which is a hassle and slower). Obviously you need an address where you can receive mail (you will want the PR card sent on to you).

Last edited: