+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR Holder who or whose family are not able to travel to Canada

Justicetruth

Sep 23, 2019
Hello everybody,
I just want to get some input from you guys. IRCC now is giving much convenience to their clients, for example, biometric exemption for students, automatic (virtual) landing for COPR holders who are in Canada, etc. However, I believe there are many COPR holders like me, either who or whose family are not able to travel to Canada, due to closed boarder, no flight or sky rocketing flight ticket price, etc,. I have been sending Webform to IRCC, but only got a generic reply "When you or your family are able to travel to Canada, please inform us and we will let you what to do".
I checked the IRCC Website, noting what they are gonna do is to reopen your files, and reassess all of documents, which may take several months. Plus if you have some change, such as medical issue, family members change, etc, god knows when you will finally get your PR or even whether you are still eligible for the PR .
I believe this is not fair for the COPR holder who are not able to travel to Canada due to COVID-19. Even if we can get the PR, that could be already sometime next year, and all of the further plan, like applying citizenship, will be delayed profoundly.
What do you think? Please post your thoughts or experience here. Thanks a lot.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Citizenship is based on time as PR in Canada and only requires 3 years and many have time credited. That is such minimal time to begin with. There is no way it will be decreased. If anything the conservatives may increase the time. Being a PR allows you to do almost everything a citizen can do. It is unfortunate but medicals are only good for a year and if COPRs are extended for something like a year asking for another medical may be considered. We are alao going through a pandemic that may change a person's health. The requirements to meet excessive demand are also extremely generous so most have nothing to worry about.

Last edited:
Reactions: bellaluna

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Bear in mind this is all totally unprecedented as well, so policies are being adjusted on the fly. I'm sure this is very difficult for those who are stuck in limbo, and IRCC will do their best to accommodate those affected, but there will be no perfect catch-all solution. In the end, they'll do what's best for Canada's own interests.