+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Converting from a Closed work permit to an OWP

andy.kai.chan

Sep 9, 2019
Someone asked me an interesting question: " if anyone had converter from Closed Visa to Open Visa after the first year (of a closed work permit)?)

Off the top of my head, the only scenario I can think of is in situations where there's a case of employer abuse. Otherwise, its generally only upon a PR application and a BOWP.

Did I miss anything?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Someone asked me an interesting question: " if anyone had converter from Closed Visa to Open Visa after the first year (of a closed work permit)?)

Off the top of my head, the only scenario I can think of is in situations where there's a case of employer abuse. Otherwise, its generally only upon a PR application and a BOWP.

Did I miss anything?
Another scenario would be PR application through a PNP province and receiving a nomination.

There would be some less common scenarios also that would only apply to certain people. For example, theoretically someone who qualifies for the IEC / Working Holiday visa program could come to Canada first on a closed work permit and later apply for an open work permit through the IEC program. But that would be much less common and only applicable to people from certain countries and who are of certain ages.

That's about it.

andy.kai.chan

Sep 9, 2019
Another scenario would be PR application through a PNP province and receiving a nomination.

There would be some less common scenarios also that would only apply to certain people. For example, theoretically someone who qualifies for the IEC / Working Holiday visa program could come to Canada first on a closed work permit and later apply for an open work permit through the IEC program. But that would be much less common and only applicable to people from certain countries and who are of certain ages.

That's about it.
Ah. Brilliant! tyvm