+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Conversion of Closed Permit to Open work permit in Montreal,QC

WaseemK9

Nov 7, 2023
Hi Every one, I have few questions about Conversion of Closed permit to Open Work permit. Please help me to get the answers.

I arrived in canada in July 2023 on a Closed work permit from an IT Consulting Company in Montreal, But after arrving they were not able to find any project further and they didn't get a Job for me. Its been a year now and still i didn't found a Job. Due to the strictness of Closed work permit, i was not able to work with any as no one was ready to shift my permit to their company, even i tried to get a job at Tim hortons and they said we have to register you in our system as an employee, which is prohabited on Closed work permit. Now after one year my employer said if i get a job from any one he will gave me NOC to shift OR if i can get a Open permit then he will be Okay with this. Below are my Questions.

1. Is it Possible to Convert the Closed Work permit to Open ? I found a Process on Immigration site but they mention that i have to pove my employer's abuse, only then they will shift the Permit from Closed to Open, But my employer is good and only reason is that he was not able to find a job for me. Is their any Possibility to Convert the Permit on this basis ?​
  2. If i got the Open work permit on this basis then for how long it will be valid ?​
  3. If i got a job on Open permit then i have to Transfer it to Close again ? OR I will continue on Open Permit ?​
  4. When the Open Permit will expire , will it be renewed ?​

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi Every one, I have few questions about Conversion of Closed permit to Open Work permit. Please help me to get the answers.

I arrived in canada in July 2023 on a Closed work permit from an IT Consulting Company in Montreal, But after arrving they were not able to find any project further and they didn't get a Job for me. Its been a year now and still i didn't found a Job. Due to the strictness of Closed work permit, i was not able to work with any as no one was ready to shift my permit to their company, even i tried to get a job at Tim hortons and they said we have to register you in our system as an employee, which is prohabited on Closed work permit. Now after one year my employer said if i get a job from any one he will gave me NOC to shift OR if i can get a Open permit then he will be Okay with this. Below are my Questions.

1. Is it Possible to Convert the Closed Work permit to Open ? I found a Process on Immigration site but they mention that i have to pove my employer's abuse, only then they will shift the Permit from Closed to Open, But my employer is good and only reason is that he was not able to find a job for me. Is their any Possibility to Convert the Permit on this basis ?​
  2. If i got the Open work permit on this basis then for how long it will be valid ?​
  3. If i got a job on Open permit then i have to Transfer it to Close again ? OR I will continue on Open Permit ?​
1. You need a new LMIA from employer to apply for a closed work permit. You cannot convert to an open work permit.
2. You cannot get an OWP.
3. Read point 1.
4. Not eligible for an OWP.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

If the employer no longer needed you they should have contacted IRCC and rescinded the job offer. The fact that you arrived ion a WP but never worked for your employer may raise questions.

Reactions: WaseemK9

WaseemK9

Nov 7, 2023
1. You need a new LMIA from employer to apply for a closed work permit. You cannot convert to an open work permit.
2. You cannot get an OWP.
3. Read point 1.
4. Not eligible for an OWP.
As the Employer didn't run Payroll for me in whole year, Is it possible for my employer to apply for extension of my permit in same Category ? Or he can apply for a new LMIA for me in a new Category

WaseemK9

Nov 7, 2023
If the employer no longer needed you they should have contacted IRCC and rescinded the job offer. The fact that you arrived ion a WP but never worked for your employer may raise questions.
Basically it is a Consulting Company and i am working with them from last 3 years Remotley. Then they gave me work permit to come to canada. After my arrival they didn't have any project where they can deploy me, so they are still finding any client to get the business so they can send me there but they didn't find any one yet. Due to Close work permit i can't do anythey else except this Job, so that's why i want to convert it to Open permit.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Basically it is a Consulting Company and i am working with them from last 3 years Remotley. Then they gave me work permit to come to canada. After my arrival they didn't have any project where they can deploy me, so they are still finding any client to get the business so they can send me there but they didn't find any one yet. Due to Close work permit i can't do anythey else except this Job, so that's why i want to convert it to Open permit.
No such things as converting to an OWP plus you are not even eligible. You need another LMIA from a Canadian employer.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Is this TATA? Seen them abuse the Canadian immigration system over and over again. No work ever secured in Canada. A consulting company doesn’t move people internationally without secured work. It would make no business sense. In the rare chance it was true you would be moved to another international location right away.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
You can’t convert it
And it doesn’t make sense what so ever that you were working remotely for this company on projects and they needed you here presumably to work remotely on projects .
If you can’t get an LMIA , then you look at returning

Reactions: canuck78