+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Conundrum

karooma

May 24, 2009
Dear All,

I am wondering if anyone can help me, I am in the process of completing an Application for a 'work permit from outside Canada' - IMM 1295

I created an account and after completing the questionnaire, it determined that I am a 'foreign worker - international mobility program' which normally does not require an LMIA; however my job did require an LMIA?

Anyway when I looked at the documents required I was shocked at the amount of requirements? from evidence of 10 years employment to a long list of documents some of which did not make any sense? given that if the borders weren't closed I could have obtained the work permit at the airport, a process that does not take more than an hour or two.

My understating is that if you are applying for PR then the tend to ask for all of this evidence, but is it the case also with an application for a 'work permit'?

Thanks,

A

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
All of that information is required as well for the standard work permit application.

Are you from a country that has a trade agreement with Canada that allows you to claim a work permit at the border by showing you have a job offer and that you meet the requirements of the trade agreement?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Are you from a country that has a trade agreement with Canada that allows you to claim a work permit at the border by showing you have a job offer and that you meet the requirements of the trade agreement?
Applying for a work permit at the border isn't an option at this time. These services have been halted due to COVID-19. The work permit needs to be obtained before traveling to Canada.

Reactions: karooma and k.h.p.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Applying for a work permit at the border isn't an option at this time. These services have been halted due to COVID-19. The work permit needs to be obtained before traveling to Canada.
No totally, just seen a lot of people recently on the forum suggesting that because their country has an IEC agreement that counts as a labour mobility agreement.

Reactions: scylla

karooma

May 24, 2009
All of that information is required as well for the standard work permit application.

I'm a British citizen, previously obtained a work permit myself at the border, however this does not seem to be possible at present!

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
I'm a British citizen, previously obtained a work permit myself at the border, however this does not seem to be possible at present!
It's not. Even if you had a job offer that met the requirements of a trade agreement, there are no permits being issued at the border due to COVID.

Reactions: karooma