+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Conjugal Partner Sponsorship

SabBajwa

Oct 26, 2018
Hi,

I am sorry if this has been discussed before but I was wondering if I could possibly get some help with conjugal partner sponsorship. I am originally from Pakistan. I was a refugee in Canada and am a permanent resident at this point. I have been in a relationship for over 8 years at this point. He lives in Pakistan. We have been trying to find a way to get married for a few years now but it just hasn't worked out. We were in Sri Lanka earlier this year after multiple trips to their consulate in Ottawa, I was pretty confident that we had everything we needed. However, as soon as we got to the registrar's office in Sri Lanka, we were told two Muslim foreigners were not allowed to get married in Sri Lanka (never heard something more bizarre!)

We never actually lived together while I was in Pakistan since cohabitation without being married is a punishable offense in Pakistan and is also not allowed in Islam so we can not be common-law partners. I have pictures/letters/emails/other messenger conversations spanning eight years that prove that we have been together all through this time. I wasn't allowed to work for a while after I applied for refugee status and had a REALLY hard time finding a job so meeting each other often was just not possible financially but we managed to meet about 4 times in 4 years and have proofs of travel and pictures.

We did try to apply for a visitor's visa for him but it was denied because his purpose of visit was not satisfactory. However, we did not disclose our relationship in that application and the application was based off a friend's wedding invitation.

Also, his parents really don't want us to be together. To the point that his father, among other threats, has threatened to kill his whole family and mine if we do not break up.

Given all of this, is it a good idea for us to apply under the conjugal partner class? And would anyone know what the timeline is on it?

Thank you so much to anyone who reads through this.

monkeys89

Aug 24, 2018
Category........
FAM
Conjugal partner is the most difficult application path, but it sounds like you may - may - have a case if you have documented visa denials and other challenges to being married, including the attempted marriage in Sri Lanka.

In terms of timelines, a "regular" case without any issues is targeted to take 12 months, 80% of the time. However, conjugal partnerships are very rarely "regular" cases and may take significantly longer.

SabBajwa

Oct 26, 2018
Thank you so much for the reply. We are looking into all options or him, he should qualify for Express Entry too so if conjugal sponsorship is more doubtful, I guess we'll just go that route