+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Confusion about Minor 5(2) application online vs. on paper

Jun 14, 2024
Hello,
I need to apply for citizenship for myself as parent and my child at same time. That is, one parent and one minor child applying together.

And I want to proceed with online application.

I am a bit confused as regards this statement from IRCC:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/apply/minor-online.html
This what it says:

-------------------------------------QUOTE-------------------------------------
Who can apply online
A minor can become a Canadian citizen using the minor 5(2) or minor 5(1) application. The application you must choose depends on the minor’s situation and your situation (as the person who applies for the minor).

Minor 5(2) application

Use this application if you’re applying for a minor who has
  • a Canadian parent or
  • a parent who’s applying for citizenship at the same time
To apply for the minor
  • you must be the minor’s parent or legal guardian
  • if you’re the minor’s parent, you must be their biological or adoptive parent
Exception: Some minor 5(2) applicants must apply on paper
If you’re the minor’s parent, you must apply for minor 5(2) on paper if
  • you’re applying for citizenship with your child at the same time
  • you’re
    • a crown servant or
    • a family member of the crown servant (spouse, common-law partner or child)
  • and you include time spent outside Canada as a crown servant (or the crown servant’s family member) in your physical presence calculation

We’re working to make sure that everyone can apply online in the future.

-------------------------------------UNQUOTE-------------------------------------

So (AS PER RED INKED TEXT ABOVE) what it says is that I can apply ONLINE as "a parent who’s applying for citizenship at the same time"
BUT on the exception section it says you must apply on PAPER if "you’re applying for citizenship with your child at the same time".

Can someone please shed some light on this ? what is current status : am I currently able to apply online?

Thank you

Last edited: