+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CONFUSED with CRA.

lenos

Mar 12, 2010
Hi all, i want to sponsor my husband, i am canadian citizen living with my husband abroad, i live in Republic of Georgia and make around $450 a month in cash teaching english language to people, i donot pay any tax on my income in Georgia and work on my own by teaching language, i am not registered, donot have an employer, i donot have a paper saying how much i make, do i have to prove Canada Revenue Agency that i make $450 a month, 1- will they ask for prove ???, because i donot have any, or should i just write down my income as $450/month and let Canada tax on this amount since i donot declare my Tax in Georgia and Canada has tax treaty with Georgia, which means i should be paying tax on the $450 either in Canada or the country i live in for now, i am a factual resident of canada and like to declare my Tax in Canada for the past 2 years, to obtain option C printout for sponsoring my husband, 2- or is it better for me to say Zero income ??? but then CRA may ask how you support yourself for 2 years with no income, any advice please.
Thanks.

ohman4966

Star Member
Nov 15, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Moscow
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
They are more concerned about what you will do in Canada and that you will be returning once he is approved. I would tell them about your income that you make there there is no minimum to earn anyways. I am self employed and just told them how much I earn no option c and I was approved and now our visa has been stamped. hope this helps

lenos

Mar 12, 2010
Thanks Ohman, i am glad your sponsorship was approved, you told immigration you are self employed and told them how much you earn and No option C which means you didnot file Tax Return in Canada but are you a factual resident of Canada, if you are then you had to declare your tax in either country, maybe you did declare your tax in the country you live in ???, if you did then did Canadian immigration ask for declared Tax Letter from the country you live in ???.
I do have social ties with Canada such as only these 3 things, bank account, visa card and driver license, i think that makes me a factual resident of Canada, not sure, so maybe i have to declare my Tax either in Georgia which i donot want to or in Canada which is difficult to obtain option C,
I wish i can also tell immigration how much i earn, donot file any Tax Return and no option C ?????, any more advice please and from anyone i shall appreciate.
Thanks

BeShoo

Champion Member
Jan 16, 2010
Gatineau
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-01-2014
AOR Received.
28-02-2014
File Transfer...
03-03-2014
Med's Request
19-06-2014
Med's Done....
07-08-2014
Interview........
None
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2015
LANDED..........
13-04-2015
ohman4966 said:
I am self employed and just told them how much I earn no option c and I was approved and now our visa has been stamped.
A little off-topic, but are you self-employed in Canada? I am several years (!) behind in filing my tax returns, so I have no option C available for recent years. Do you think my T4's and a ltter will be sufficient?

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
There is no minimum income requirement for spousal sponsorships, so they're not really interested in how much money you make. You will have to prove, though, that you intend to return and re-settle in Canada in order to be found eligible to sponsor.

You will need to send a cover letter explaining that you don't have an Option C printout for the most recent tax year because you've not been working in Canada. All they want the Option C for anyway is to verify that you are not in receipt of social assistance benefits - which you aren't if you aren't even in Canada. You will have to answer one question in the sponsorship application forms about your net income over the 12 months preceeding the sponsorship - again, enter a figure here. It's not important how much and CIC is not going to report your income to CRA for tax purposes. The most important component of all of this is you being able to provide documentation that you intend to resettle in Canada. Don't neglect this piece!

From the sponsor's guide:

Canadian citizens not residing in Canada may sponsor their spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner and/or dependent children who have no dependent children of their own. Canadians travelling abroad as tourists are not considered to be residing outside Canada.

Sponsors not residing in Canada must provide evidence that they reside exclusively outside Canada on the date of giving the undertaking and will reside in Canada at the time their sponsored spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner and/or children become permanent residents of Canada. Evidence that they will reside in Canada may include one or more of the following:

* letter from an employer;
* letter of acceptance to a Canadian educational institution;
* proof of having rented/bought a dwelling in Canada;
* reasonable plans for re-establishing in Canada or severing ties to the other country.

lenos

Mar 12, 2010
Thanks Robsluv, I shall take your advice and not file my Tax Return since its a hassle for me, i did try to find within Canada a tax accountant but nobody was willing to help me since i am abroad and as i understood from your reply i shall be ok to just tell CIC as you mentioned no option C because i am not working nor living in Canada and i shall enter $450 as my per month income, i hope CIC shall not ask prove of my income since i donot have anything on paper, will they ????
So Rob you are certain i shall be ok not filing my tax return even being a factual resident of Canada and is it for my advantage not to file ???? I wish you shall reply to me, Thanks alot.