+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Confused about which path/visa for a self-employed applicant

briarbee

Sep 12, 2024
WA, USA
(I read extensively on IRCC, then searched for similar situations in these forums, and i couldn't find this; if it's already been answered, my apologies!)

I want to relocate to NL with the intention of becoming a permanent resident. I am self-employed and my income originates in the USA (and sometimes Europe), so i do not need--and do not want--to enter the Canadian labor market.

In my research, it seemed like my situation might be covered under "Business Visitor," except that i want to stay for more than six months. I also researched the "Digital Nomad" option, but that assumes that your end goal is to gain an in-house position at a Canadian company, and it also is temporary with a cap at six months. I am a skilled worker, but once again, i am self-employed and prefer it that way.

I cannot be the only person who has independent income, would love to spend it in Canada, but doesn't want to move every six months. Is this so complicated that i need to contact an immigration lawyer, or am i missing something simpler?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
(I read extensively on IRCC, then searched for similar situations in these forums, and i couldn't find this; if it's already been answered, my apologies!)

I want to relocate to NL with the intention of becoming a permanent resident. I am self-employed and my income originates in the USA (and sometimes Europe), so i do not need--and do not want--to enter the Canadian labor market.

In my research, it seemed like my situation might be covered under "Business Visitor," except that i want to stay for more than six months. I also researched the "Digital Nomad" option, but that assumes that your end goal is to gain an in-house position at a Canadian company, and it also is temporary with a cap at six months. I am a skilled worker, but once again, i am self-employed and prefer it that way.

I cannot be the only person who has independent income, would love to spend it in Canada, but doesn't want to move every six months. Is this so complicated that i need to contact an immigration lawyer, or am i missing something simpler?
Look at Express Entry. You can qualify as a self employed worker and there's no requirement to enter the labour force in Canada. This is a points based system so you need to have sufficient points to qualify and then also be selected out of the pool ahead of other applicants.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

And no, you don't need a lawyer. Vast majority of people apply for EE on their own.

Ayen rotzid

Sep 12, 2024
Hello everyone. Im just new in this group, and Im looking for someone who can advice me on what to do.
My husband applied for PR and got already ocpr but our problem is we havent receive any passport request yet for our 2 children bec when we did the IMM008 form, we missed understood the question if the kids is accompanying. Since me and my husband is just planning to come to canada first we put it as non-accompanying when we submit the form. And now that we got the ocpr, we are confused that why we havent receive yet passport request and also we already paid for pr application for 4 person including our kids. My question can we still add them to our pr application even after we received ocpr for ky husband? And if not whats the best to do so we can bring the kids and be with us here in canada? My kids are almost 2yrs old and 12yrs old.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello everyone. Im just new in this group, and Im looking for someone who can advice me on what to do.
My husband applied for PR and got already ocpr but our problem is we havent receive any passport request yet for our 2 children bec when we did the IMM008 form, we missed understood the question if the kids is accompanying. Since me and my husband is just planning to come to canada first we put it as non-accompanying when we submit the form. And now that we got the ocpr, we are confused that why we havent receive yet passport request and also we already paid for pr application for 4 person including our kids. My question can we still add them to our pr application even after we received ocpr for ky husband? And if not whats the best to do so we can bring the kids and be with us here in canada? My kids are almost 2yrs old and 12yrs old.
Wrong place to post. Post your question to the Express Entry section.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I think this actually might be what i was looking for: Canada's Self-Employed Persons Immigration Program.

I am posting it here in case anyone else is an illustrator or author (and in case i misunderstood it and it's paused or something.)
Under Business Immigration are threads on SEP program. Processing is almost 48 months, and under the program only a few thousand are invited and this combined with start up applications. You will want a business plan and show that you are ”world class” with a portfolio that benefits Canadian interests.

briarbee

Sep 12, 2024
WA, USA
Under Business Immigration are threads on SEP program. Processing is almost 48 months, and under the program only a few thousand are invited and this combined with start up applications. You will want a business plan and show that you are ”world class” with a portfolio that benefits Canadian interests.
Thank you for that extra information! Sorry i initially posted in the wrong area.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I think this actually might be what i was looking for: Canada's Self-Employed Persons Immigration Program.

I am posting it here in case anyone else is an illustrator or author (and in case i misunderstood it and it's paused or something.)
Yes, this is an option for you if your occupation is on the list.

We generally do not recommend this program here because the processing times are so long and because of the specific program requirements. Express Entry is by far a better path for the self employed if they have the points required.

Reactions: Naturgrl

briarbee

Sep 12, 2024
WA, USA
Yes, this is an option for you if your occupation is on the list.

We generally do not recommend this program here because the processing times are so long and because of the specific program requirements. Express Entry is by far a better path for the self employed if they have the points required.
That makes sense. I couldn't even find a list of requirements for what constitutes world-class in my field(s), but that is also just a really long time just to have someone look at an application that has a lower acceptance rate :oops: haha. Thank you again!