+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Confused about temporary resident permit vs temporary resident visa

fansiyi

May 4, 2016
Hi there, I submitted an online application to change my status from student to a visitor a few weeks ago. Later I received a letter of temporary resident permit, but no multiple entry visa. I figured it might be because I didn't fill out the optional form "Schedule 1 : Application for a Temporary Resident Visa Made Outside Canada" (because I just assumed it's for people who are not in Canada). Now because of family reasons I want to leave Canada for a bit but now I have no visa to come back :(

Should I submit another application in order to get the multiple entry visa? Or should I call CIC to explain what's going on?

I'm so confused about this whole process. Thank you!

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
fansiyi said:
Hi there, I submitted an online application to change my status from student to a visitor a few weeks ago. Later I received a letter of temporary resident permit, but no multiple entry visa. I figured it might be because I didn't fill out the optional form "Schedule 1 : Application for a Temporary Resident Visa Made Outside Canada" (because I just assumed it's for people who are not in Canada). Now because of family reasons I want to leave Canada for a bit but now I have no visa to come back :(

Should I submit another application in order to get the multiple entry visa? Or should I call CIC to explain what's going on?

I'm so confused about this whole process. Thank you!
A TRV and a TRP are different process that are loosely related, one does not imply the other in any way or form.

You applied to change yours status from student to visitor, therefore a TRP was issued granting that change. A TRV was not requested as it is a separate process that you have to submit. If you wish to have a TRV you need to submit an application, unfortunately you will have to apply abroad as inland TRVs are only for students and workers, but as you are no longer a student you are not eligible.

fansiyi

May 4, 2016
Jalex23 said:
A TRV and a TRP are different process that are loosely related, one does not imply the other in any way or form.

You applied to change yours status from student to visitor, therefore a TRP was issued granting that change. A TRV was not requested as it is a separate process that you have to submit. If you wish to have a TRV you need to submit an application, unfortunately you will have to apply abroad as inland TRVs are only for students and workers, but as you are no longer a student you are not eligible.
thank you so much!!