+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

<<confirmation of permanent residence >> Not sure if anyone has the same situation as me

Flynn

May 8, 2019
Not sure if anyone has the same situation as me. I received a letter saying my PR application was approved and I applied for a PR card, and got it a few months later. The thing is I never received the formal "confirmation of permanent residence" (see below image). Also my online account of ircc still says my case is under reviewing. Since I was in Canada under visitor status, I don't have a landing paper. It seems the <<confirmation of permanent residence >> is a very important document.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
You could apply for verification of status with copr replacement - don't know if this is the best way but you'd at least get it.

DimT44

Apr 5, 2021
I lost mine and never bothered getting a new one. I never needed it since getting my PR card.

citizenshipcanada

Sep 1, 2011
Not sure if anyone has the same situation as me. I received a letter saying my PR application was approved and I applied for a PR card, and got it a few months later. The thing is I never received the formal "confirmation of permanent residence" (see below image). Also my online account of ircc still says my case is under reviewing. Since I was in Canada under visitor status, I don't have a landing paper. It seems the <<confirmation of permanent residence >> is a very important document.

If your application for permanent residence in Canada is approved, you will be mailed a Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR). Some of you will also receive a permanent resident visa, if you're from a country that requires a visa, so that you may enter Canada.

Your COPR will have information about who you are, as well as your photograph. We recommend that you first ensure that the information is correct. It should be the same as the information on your passport. If there is a mistake on your COPR, you should contact Canada through your online account so that they may make the necessary changes.

Typically, a COPR is valid for a year from your application approval. However, this varies in some circumstances so be aware of this date. A COPR can not be extended, except under unusual circumstances such as COVID-19 during which a public policy has been created to handle these situations. You should plan to use your COPR before it expires.

If you’re already in Canada when you receive your COPR: The government will contact you and let you know what to do next. You’ll need to have a short interview with an officer. You have two options for your interview. To do this, you may 1. Make an appointment at one of the offices in Canada (best option) or 2. Go to a Canadian “port of entry” (border crossing), and present:

• proof that you have the funds to support yourself and your family
  • your Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) and your permanent resident visa (if we gave you one)
The interview process is used to verify and validate information. During the interview the officer will:

• make sure all your documents are valid
  • ask you a few questions to make sure you still meet the terms to immigrate to Canada
  • confirm your Canadian mailing address, so we can mail your permanent resident card (PR card)
If you change your address within 6 months (180 days) of getting your status, you must update this information with the government.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
If your application for permanent residence in Canada is approved, you will be mailed a Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR). Some of you will also receive a permanent resident visa, if you're from a country that requires a visa, so that you may enter Canada.

Your COPR will have information about who you are, as well as your photograph. We recommend that you first ensure that the information is correct. It should be the same as the information on your passport. If there is a mistake on your COPR, you should contact Canada through your online account so that they may make the necessary changes.

Typically, a COPR is valid for a year from your application approval. However, this varies in some circumstances so be aware of this date. A COPR can not be extended, except under unusual circumstances such as COVID-19 during which a public policy has been created to handle these situations. You should plan to use your COPR before it expires.

If you’re already in Canada when you receive your COPR: The government will contact you and let you know what to do next. You’ll need to have a short interview with an officer. You have two options for your interview. To do this, you may 1. Make an appointment at one of the offices in Canada (best option) or 2. Go to a Canadian “port of entry” (border crossing), and present:

• proof that you have the funds to support yourself and your family
  • your Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) and your permanent resident visa (if we gave you one)
The interview process is used to verify and validate information. During the interview the officer will:

• make sure all your documents are valid
  • ask you a few questions to make sure you still meet the terms to immigrate to Canada
  • confirm your Canadian mailing address, so we can mail your permanent resident card (PR card)
If you change your address within 6 months (180 days) of getting your status, you must update this information with the government.
This info is out of date as regards those in Canada when copr is issued. They no longer do the interviews (COVID) nor require crossing border, but do a "virtual " landing process.

Applicants should get an electronic copy of copr (and PR card later).

corvus777

Star Member
Oct 18, 2021
Category........
FAM
This info is out of date as regards those in Canada when copr is issued. They no longer do the interviews (COVID) nor require crossing border, but do a "virtual " landing process.

Applicants should get an electronic copy of copr (and PR card later).
Whats a virtual landing. ive not seen any clear explanation

Some say you fill a website
Other say you go to border

burnwise

Jun 7, 2024
I lost mine and never bothered getting a new one. I never needed it since getting my PR card.
No that, from the PR confirmation email:
  • Print your eCoPR document and keep it in a safe place as you will need it to apply for your Old Age Security benefits upon retiring. Even if you become a Canadian citizen, the Government of Canada may request your eCoPR document.