+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Conditions of V1 Visa?

JuBang

Dec 28, 2022
Hi everyone,

We have received with great joy a printed V1 visitor visa for my husband with multiple entries today. I was surprised to see that there were no explanatory letter or email as we have received in other countries regarding the conditions of the visa, and reading online as only made it less clear.

1) With a multiple entry, what is the maximal stay? If it is decided by the boarder agent on arrival, what documents to present to obtain the longest stay possible?
2) I read that since COVID they give V1 visas to students and workers... Would that mean that my husband can study or work with the visa just received?

canada.msn

Aug 20, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-09-2013
AOR Received.
07-Nov-2013
Hi everyone,

We have received with great joy a printed V1 visitor visa for my husband with multiple entries today. I was surprised to see that there were no explanatory letter or email as we have received in other countries regarding the conditions of the visa, and reading online as only made it less clear.

1) With a multiple entry, what is the maximal stay? If it is decided by the boarder agent on arrival, what documents to present to obtain the longest stay possible?
2) I read that since COVID they give V1 visas to students and workers... Would that mean that my husband can study or work with the visa just received?
Hello...

1. Max stay on V1 visa is 6 months. You can request for extension while your husband is in Canada
2. Nope - he cannot work on V1 visa. He can request for Open Work permit based on your status. btw, what is your status in Canada?

JuBang

Dec 28, 2022
Hello...

1. Max stay on V1 visa is 6 months. You can request for extension while your husband is in Canada
2. Nope - he cannot work on V1 visa. He can request for Open Work permit based on your status. btw, what is your status in Canada?
Thank you for your answer!
1) Do you know if after 6 months stay, on multiple entry visa, it is ok for the visitor to do a short trip out of Canada and then re-enter? Successively?

2) I am a Canadian citizen from birth. I wasn't aware it would help him to get an open work permit, is that the case?

canada.msn

Aug 20, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-09-2013
AOR Received.
07-Nov-2013
Thank you for your answer!
1) Do you know if after 6 months stay, on multiple entry visa, it is ok for the visitor to do a short trip out of Canada and then re-enter? Successively?

There is no rule in black and white on how long one has to be outside. All it says if you have multiple entry visa - you can enter multiple times as long as it is valid. Please see below link.

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=208&top=17

2) I am a Canadian citizen from birth. I wasn't aware it would help him to get an open work permit, is that the case?
You should apply for your husbands spousal sponsorship so he can immigrate as a PR. Meanwhile, I think he can apply for open work permit based on your citizenship status.

JuBang

Dec 28, 2022
You should apply for your husbands spousal sponsorship so he can immigrate as a PR. Meanwhile, I think he can apply for open work permit based on your citizenship status.
Thank you, we did apply for PR and are waiting. He will enter as a visitor next year and hopefully get his PR shortly. Just trying to figure out what he could do meanwhile. We will look into the open work permit

canada.msn

Aug 20, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-09-2013
AOR Received.
07-Nov-2013
Thank you, we did apply for PR and are waiting. He will enter as a visitor next year and hopefully get his PR shortly. Just trying to figure out what he could do meanwhile. We will look into the open work permit
If PR is already in process - he should be eligible for BOWP (Bridging Open Work Permit).

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Of he applied for outland sponsorship unfortunately all he can do is wait until her gets approved for PR. He does nkt qualify to apply for an OWP with an outland sponsorship application. If he gets a job offer from certsin high skilled industries he could try to apply for a work permit under GSS but that can still take months. When did you apply for outland sponsorship? How long he can remain in Canada is always determined at the border but the maximum amount of time is 6 months, if no date is stamped on his passport than he can stay for 6 months. He can also apply for an extension to remain longer if he has not received PR after 6 months. He is able to leave Canada and try to return but everytime he returns he will be reevaluated. Since it seems as though he is not visiting and has moved to Canada waiting for PR I would limit interactions with IRCC. There have been cases where spouses have been refused entry, especially at the land border, when it becomes clear that they are living in Canada and not visiting and don’t have a job, home, etc. in their home country which would help show that they are just visiting.

JuBang

Dec 28, 2022
4 months before it was finally printed in the passport and ready to go. (3 months to initial answer saying that decision had been made)