+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Conditional Discharge - Canadian Citizenship Application experience

can902

Nov 1, 2023
Thank you for your detailed post. You specifically mention "In fact, you can even apply during your probation, but you will not be able to make the oath until you can prove that you successfully completed your probation with no breaches. "

I am given a conditional discharge and still serving Probation. Can I apply while on probation as you say because CIC website says that I cannot apply. For clarity, I am aware that I cannot be a citizen or take the Oath until I have completed my probation !
I waited, but I think you can still apply. If your probation is nearing the end, go for it. By the time they start processing your application and you get your interview etc. your probation would have ended. I believe you can apply, but im not 100% sure.

can902

Nov 1, 2023
@can902 I had applied for my citizenship and my husband falsely charged me with strangling choking and assault, I haven't done strangling, When he went outside he did strangling to himself to get mark on his neck and he always made proofs of our fights every time.
I dont know if i should fight or plea guilty for the crime i haven't done because the crown mentioned 6 month house arrest and 1 year probation if i plea guilty at initial stage...

I don't know if i win or lose, what should i do, Im on PR status and i don't wanna lose my citizenship?
Don't plea guilty to something you didn't do. But you definitely need to speak to a lawyer. You can't get legal advice here.

Karam2000

Jul 5, 2024
Hi everyone i had my PR scene 2019 I applied for citizenship in 2022 , I got charged for a really stupid mistake that looked big, after waiting almost 2 years for my trial, which was a week ago I got 18 months house arrest 9 months just work and the other 9 is with a cerfew and 3 years probation, when I was still waiting for my trial I got sent to do my citizenship test I was shocked because they took my fingerprints so I thought my application would stop, I did my test and passed, but then after that nothing happened till before my trial 2 days the immigration sent me a letter saying that my application was closed, I’m not sure what to do, do I have to wait the 18 months then the 3 years probation, I got me self into a big mess that I can’t get myself out of, if anyone has any experience please help thank you.

Karam2000

Jul 5, 2024
Hi everyone i had my PR scene 2019 I applied for citizenship in 2022 , I got charged for a really stupid mistake that looked big, after waiting almost 2 years for my trial, which was a week ago I got 18 months house arrest 9 months just work and the other 9 is with a cerfew and 3 years probation, when I was still waiting for my trial I got sent to do my citizenship test I was shocked because they took my fingerprints so I thought my application would stop, I did my test and passed, but then after that nothing happened till before my trial 2 days the immigration sent me a letter saying that my application was closed, I’m not sure what to do, do I have to wait the 18 months then the 3 years probation, I got me self into a big mess that I can’t get myself out of, if anyone has any experience please help thank you.

Alalac

Oct 2, 2021
You might need assistance of an immigration lawyer to help you with your citizenship project.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
I agree that obtaining the assistance of legal counsel is a good idea generally. And you may indeed really need the assistance of a competent immigration lawyer . . . to avoid losing PR status rather than further pursue the application for citizenship.

If IRCC has "closed" the application for citizenship, meaning it has been terminated because, in effect, it has been denied or rejected, mostly likely on prohibition grounds, there really is not much if anything at all you can do with that. Regardless which offence it is, you are now prohibited from a grant of citizenship for the next three years because you are on probation.

You do not state what the offence is but given the severity of the punishment it is likely (almost certainly) an indictable offence and also likely (but maybe not) an indictable offence constituting serious criminality. In particular, if the offence for which you have been convicted could have resulted in imprisonment for ten years, that could lead to inadmissibility proceedings based on serious criminality. If determined to be inadmissible for serious criminality that terminates your PR status.

Assuming you are not subject to inadmissibility proceedings, any plan to become a Canadian citizen is now a long way off. Six years minimum unless the period of probation is reduced. This is because time on probation does NOT count toward meeting the physical presence requirement, so to meet the physical presence requirement for a new application you will need to be physically present in Canada at least three years AFTER your probation is completed. That's the best case scenario.