+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Concerns about putting my name on PR application

edchung877

Apr 13, 2024
Hi, I just have some questions about my wife. Put my name as "family joins you in Canada."

My wife is currently in the process of applying for PR via the HK special program. However, she's also in the very last stage of getting a US immigrant visa (I am a US citizen). The only reason for her getting Canadian PR is that her status in Canada is about to expire within a year, and we have no idea when her interview for IV will be yet.

I live across the border in the States and have visited her every weekend since 2022; this has been a routine for me for a long time. However, I hesitated when she said she could put my name on the PR application. Not because I don't want to be a Canadian PR; I'm okay with it. I am concerned about my eligibility for entry into Canada, and I still want to visit my wife if I apply.

In the States, for example, if my name is on the immigration petition, every time I apply for a non-immigrant visa, I will be pretty much auto-rejected because of "immigration intent", and if I show up at the border, CBP would probably turn me around due to the same reason. Will this be the same problem as a Canadian PR applicant? As much as I want to stay with my wife now, I do not want to lose the chance to visit her...

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi, I just have some questions about my wife. Put my name as "family joins you in Canada."

My wife is currently in the process of applying for PR via the HK special program. However, she's also in the very last stage of getting a US immigrant visa (I am a US citizen). The only reason for her getting Canadian PR is that her status in Canada is about to expire within a year, and we have no idea when her interview for IV will be yet.

I live across the border in the States and have visited her every weekend since 2022; this has been a routine for me for a long time. However, I hesitated when she said she could put my name on the PR application. Not because I don't want to be a Canadian PR; I'm okay with it. I am concerned about my eligibility for entry into Canada, and I still want to visit my wife if I apply.

In the States, for example, if my name is on the immigration petition, every time I apply for a non-immigrant visa, I will be pretty much auto-rejected because of "immigration intent", and if I show up at the border, CBP would probably turn me around due to the same reason. Will this be the same problem as a Canadian PR applicant? As much as I want to stay with my wife now, I do not want to lose the chance to visit her...
It's mandatory that she list your name on the application since you are married. You can be listed as accompanying or non-accompanying. If you don't want PR then she can list you as non-accompanying. Failing to list you is misrepresentation punishable by a refusal and five year ban from Canada for your wife.

Canada is not would as tight as the US when it comes to immigration intent. You should have no issues continuing to visit Canada.