+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

complicated question---changing from student permit to work permit

proton10

Aug 3, 2009
So here is the deal, a friend of mine owns an IT company and has offered to give me a full time permanent job. But the thing is since im living in Alberta, and am on a student visa, (TRV expired), and for reasons not disclosed, have not been to my college since i moved to Alberta. Therefore i cannot qualify for the work off campus work permit either where a student has to be registered for 6 months or more to be eligible.

Now i want to change my student visa to a work visa so that i can start working for my friend's company and in time also be able to finish my college diploma. I understand that i may have to get my boss to get a LMO, as well as a written letter of employment, and since my parents are paying for my stay here in Canada, i can get their written consent of financial support.
So I would like to know, if i can get a work permit with the LMO and letter of employment, proof of support? Will i need to get some sort of temporary resident visa too? what are some of the other complications i will have to come across?
What i am worried about however is my violation of not going to college while staying in Canada under the student visa.

Please be sincere and help me out with whatever advise you guyies have, and i will greatly appreciate it!!!

accreddy

Star Member
May 20, 2009
What is your current status? Do you have a valid study permit (does not matter even if the TRV is expired)?

How long has it been since you moved to Alberta? What have you been doing (unemployed)?

proton10

Aug 3, 2009
My study permit is still valid up to march of 2010. Its been nearly 1 and a half years since i moved to Alberta, but ya like i said i have a letter of employment from my employer now with a full time job. Naturally since i cant start working till i get my work permit, i am just volunteering for him.

So please, any advise would be VERY helpful.

accreddy

Star Member
May 20, 2009
I suppose you can apply for the work permit (with LMO) since your study permit is valid. I am not sure if not going to the college for 1.5 yrs is considered a violation of study permit or not (perhaps not as long as you were not studying or working elsewhere). Let seniors respond to this.

Do you need any college diploma/degree for your job?

You would need temporary resident visa if you plan to go out of Canada (USA or Saint Pierre et Miquelon) and come back.

proton10

Aug 3, 2009
For the job, its a DBA (database Admin) job. You do need a diploma/degree, but as mentioned, my Boss is my friend. As for myself, even though i was studying business at my college, im more passionate about computers/programing/admin etc. So i guess in essence i know quite a bit comparitively to one who had taken a comp sci program in a univ., so topics like Mirco. SQL server, HTML, PHP, java, .NET 2.0, etc etc; are second nature to me.

But yes, i hope more people are able to advise me on this matter.

accreddy

Star Member
May 20, 2009
I asked the question because if your employer needs to get LMO/HRSDC confirmation then he would have to mention the minimum requirements for the job.

If you do not have the minimum requirements then there are chances that your LMO might be rejected as there might be other Canadians/PR who have the required qualifications.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If he's denied the LMO for any reason, you can try for an AEO and use it to apply for your PR through AINP.

proton10

Aug 3, 2009
Is there a place where i can find out if my employer needs to get LMO/HRSDC confirmation for the type of work i will be doing?

@ Leon: brother you may need to explain what exactly AEO and AINP are, with relation to my situation.

proton10

Aug 3, 2009
Nevermind, sorry, i have looked up AEO and AINP, and i suppose the prospects sound good. Only draw back from what i have read is that since getting the AEO will help me out with getting my PR through AINP, i will need to wait till i become a PR to start my work. But i suppose its the best solution if worst comes to worst.

accreddy

Star Member
May 20, 2009
You do not need LMO for these categories under IT workers (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/special-tech.asp)

You can check if you fall under any of the above categories.