+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Complete procedure to apply for TRV based on visitor record. Please Help !

aquaCAN

Jul 25, 2011
Hi ,

I came from India to Canada with a student Visa in Aug 2009 . My husband and me knew each other since last 4 years so when i came here in 2009 we decided to get married in Canada in sept 2009 . Since then we have been living together here .I finished my studies last year and attained my work permit until this june 1st 2011 .We also went to India last year in july to do our social wedding with friends family and relatives !
After we returned from India my husband sponsored my PR Application in Oct 2010 , which started from Mississauga and in Dec 2011 i was notified that my file has been transferred to buffalo . In a month's time i was notified again in jan 2011 that my file was transfered to Newyork Canadian Consulate.I was working since last aug 2010 until my work permit got expired this june 1st 2011. I had not opted for the work permit extension thru the LMO process as it wouldn't hv been possible due to some reason.
At this time after calling the CIC centre , they suggested on applying for "Temporary Visitor Record " , which would give me an implied status . I filed for the same on june 1st 2011 soon after the conversation with the CIC . On june 16th 2011 , i received a notification for an interview at Newyork on sept 7 2011 ,along with my husband .

Now the issue is since i do not have a valid Visa currently , I do not know how will i re- enter Canada . I called the CIC call centre again and they said only after i get my document of "Temporary Visitor Record ", i can apply for a Temporary Resident Visa from buffalo which will further allow me to apply for US visa !! (as i don't have one too )

I followed the same procedure as i mentioned above and still waiting to get the "visitor record " (On the website it says it takes 57 days).

Now my question is firstly, Is there any specific Temporary Resident Visa application form particularly that needs to be filled based on "Visitor record" ??

Secondly, to find out if my husband can take my passport and get it stamped for TRV in Buffalo as i still do not have US Visa yet !

I was wondering if anyone has gone through the same hurdle ! i am very disturbed regarding the time consuming factor of these applications proceedings and wonder if at all i would be able to attend the interview dated sept 7 2011 ..

Please help !!

Thanks

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
1) Not so far as I know. As you are not visa exempt, you have to apply to vary your status from work permit to visitor, and that is what the TRV application was for.

2) Your husband cannot take your PP to Buffalo for you, because you won't know until after the interview if you have been approved. You must obtain a US visitor's visa in order to attend your interview in September. If you are successful at the interview, you will receive instructions on how and where to send/bring your PP for your visa to be issued.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Try phoning the CIC hotline again and asking if you can mail your passport to the Canadian consulate in Buffalo when you apply for a TRV. I know you are not supposed to mail Indian passports, but this is not a Canadian or American law, so presumably would be OK here.

aquaCAN

Jul 25, 2011
CharlieD10 said:
1) Not so far as I know. As you are not visa exempt, you have to apply to vary your status from work permit to visitor, and that is what the TRV application was for.

2) Your husband cannot take your PP to Buffalo for you, because you won't know until after the interview if you have been approved. You must obtain a US visitor's visa in order to attend your interview in September. If you are successful at the interview, you will receive instructions on how and where to send/bring your PP for your visa to be issued.

thanx Charlie for your reply .... i knew that i have to get US visa first before entering my PR interview in sept ... but i wanted to know if my husband can get the temporary visitor visa stamped on my behalf since i do not hv US visa and can't really take the risk of moving out which am not even sure of if i wud be approved of TRV .... and i cannot apply US visa unless i have a TRV !!

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
If you mean, for him to submit your passport to Buffalo in order to get the Canadian TRV, I would suggest you ask CIC that, I don't know their rules on submission of the passport by someone else other than the person getting the visa, or the possibility of using a courier service. You also need to check, if you can submit it via courier, if you can legally send your passport across an international border.

aquaCAN

Jul 25, 2011
thanks so much for the info :)i did email the buffalo CIC as its so hard to get to speak to them .hopefully i would get a reply soon .however will keep you guys updated anyways with my case ....

aquaCAN

Jul 25, 2011
hello there.....

after emailing the cic buffalo two days back i received a reply today stating "We do not offer individual counselling. Information is available on the website ".

however in the website i could not not find anywhere mentioned anything about the option of the spouse taking the passport for the TRV stamped on behalf of the the applicant to buffalo . it says only applications to be submitted either by mail or in person " option though ..

anyone who has any idea about the same ? please lemme know ...

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
You can mail the passport to Buffalo then. How far do you live from Buffalo?

aquaCAN

Jul 25, 2011
canadianwoman said:
You can mail the passport to Buffalo then. How far do you live from Buffalo?

well mailing is the last option though ... we leave quite closer ...its a two hrs drive to Buffalo from my place thats why i was wondering if my hubby could go and get it stamped ...

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
You could try having your husband take it. Give him a letter authorizing him to take your passport to the consulate to be stamped with the TRV. If they refuse to allow him to do it, you can then mail it.

aquaCAN

Jul 25, 2011
Hey i called the CIC and got to know something positive ... he said the visitor record if issued would help in re-entry only in the case of US visit cuz thats permissible ..i checked the cic website too ! got the print of it and perhaps am gonna take them along with my other marriage and immigration papers to prove them that it was just a visit of emergency and not just personal .. have also read couple of threads in the forum who has gone through similar situation ...

so now am waiting for the Visitor record to come !!