+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common Law to Spouse

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Understood Man, thanks so much. Please see my comment above. I just found it online, it states what the OP can use for common law
That is from the operational manual for evaluating a spousal relationship. It isn't a 100% accurate, complete, or guiding document. That is to say that if there is proof that is different or not quite in line with the above, it may still be accepted. There may also be instances where applicants have ALL of what is in that list and still have their relationship questioned.

It's a good thing to read and understand but it isn't definitive.

KamBag

Apr 12, 2020
So if I get married now just 2-3 months before filing for PR. Won't they consider it as a marriage of convenience.?
Thanks

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
You can claim single, as long as you do not plan to sponsor him ever again. I have spoken to multiple CIC agents, they said that declaring common law is up to us as we have to prove it. It is a de facto relationship, menaing it exists only iif you can prove it.
Moreover, just living together dont make you common law, you have to be sharing expenses, be on each other's life insurance as beneficiaries, etc etc.

If you guys can prove that you are dating and not in common law you should be fine.
Blind leading the blind .....

Reactions: kanoon22

kanoon22

Jul 13, 2020
Blind leading the blind .....
You are a Champion member of this group and I do respect your opinion. I will also like to ask for some advice if possible.

I recommended that as agents and consultants advised this to me for my case.
I am living with my girlfriend from April 2016, however in pgwp application I and my common law declared ourselves as single as we were not aware of the concept. Now we are planning to apply for pr and we are afraid that if we declare now, it can be considered as misrepresentation that we did not declare common law on pgwp application. I will greatly appreciate your input as to what I should do.

Thank You, and I apologize if mu recommendation was bad. Thank You

kanoon22

Jul 13, 2020
@Copingwithlife You are a Champion member of this group and I do respect your opinion. I will also like to ask for some advice if possible.

I recommended that as agents and consultants advised this to me for my case.
I am living with my girlfriend from April 2016, however in pgwp application I and my common law declared ourselves as single as we were not aware of the concept. Now we are planning to apply for pr and we are afraid that if we declare now, it can be considered as misrepresentation that we did not declare common law on pgwp application. I will greatly appreciate your input as to what I should do.

Thank You, and I apologize if mu recommendation was bad. Thank You

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
So if I get married now just 2-3 months before filing for PR. Won't they consider it as a marriage of convenience.?
Thanks
If it is a marriage of convenience, it will be detected.

If you were common-law with your partner, plan to get married, and hadn't declared your common-law before now, it should be okay, provided you didn't misrepresent substantially on a matter that would change a visa officer's mind.

KamBag

Apr 12, 2020
That's my point exactly. Will us not having enough documentation make them think this could be a marriage of convenience. Or are there other factors too?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
That's my point exactly. Will us not having enough documentation make them think this could be a marriage of convenience. Or are there other factors too?
oh my god

submit the proof you have

don't lie more

if you're common-law say it

if you don't have lots of proof, submit a letter of explanation

you're applying for non-accompanying anyways

my god please just don't be stupid

:(

if you're a marriage of convenience why are you applying

if you're not a marriage of convenience you should be able to write a letter saying why you don't have more proof

if they have questions they will ask