+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common-law sponsership questions.

Restonivek

Apr 22, 2007
Hi thanks for taking the time to help out.
While travelling in Korea as a tourist, I met my fiance...
I will be returning to Korea as a tourist once again to live with her for over a year to apply as
a common-law sponser.

1. Can I apply as a common-law sponser as a tourist in Korea?

2. I will have to come back to Canada after the tourist visa is over and then back to Korea for another 6 months to fufill the 1 year rule. Would this be a problem?

3. I do not have a 4 year university degree to be able to work in Korea. Is there any other way for me to
stay in Korea for a period longer than 6 months (1+ year)? ie. Work for a Canadian company... etc.

4. Can tourist legally marry in Korea?

As you can tell, me and my fiance are in a dilema. We really want to start a life and family here in Canada.
it just seems hard to do so. Its killing us both being apart and the thought that
i may not be able to be with her just kills me. What options do I have?

Thank you~

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
1. No. Your status in the country can't be "tourist" if you're sponsoring your partner under the "common-law" category.

2. Yes, it's a problem. You can't sponsor under the "common-law" category with a tourist visa. For Korea, you'd need either a teaching visa or a long-term employment visa. But without a degree, you probably wouldn't qualify for those.

3. Without a degree, it's unlikely you'd meet the requirements Korea sets for employing foreigners in its territory. In their opinion, if you are hired without a degree, you're taking a job that a Korean should be doing.

4. Yes. And this appears to be your best option. Get married and sponsor your spouse under the "family class."

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
I have some updated information for you.

Some friends in Korea tell me that after you marry your Korean girlfriend, she can sponsor "you" for an F-2 visa. That will give you all of the same rights as a Korean person except for voting. So that would solve your immediate problem of how to stay there for a long time, etc.

Hope this helps.

TG

Restonivek

Apr 22, 2007
Thanks alot thaiguy for your help.
reading your answers i was going "oh no", "i'm screwed"...
knowing i can marry her made my day.
as for working in Korea, I had no plans. I basically was planning on living on the money i've saved
over the last 10 years to be with her.

Thanks again for your help~